+ Follow This Topic

Thread: OMG - Pakistan floods 'kill 800' people and affect a million

OMG - Pakistan floods 'kill 800' people and affect a million

The worst monsoon floods in living memory have killed at least 800 people and affected one million in north-west Pakistan, a local official has said.

Rescuers are struggling to reach inundated areas where transport and communication are down.

Peshawar, the area's largest city with a 3m-strong population, is cut off.

At least 60 people have died across the border in Afghanistan where floods affected four provinces.

Mian Iftikhar Hussain, information minister for Pakistan's Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier) province, announced the latest death toll. Earlier, he described the floods as the province's worst ever.

Manuel Bessler, the head of the UN's Office for the Coordination for Humanitarian Assistance (UNOCHA) in Pakistan, told the BBC about 1m people's lives had been disrupted.

He could not say with certainty the full scale of the emergency in Pakistan, as he was having trouble reaching his own offices in some of the worst-affected areas.

UN aid workers were helping to co-ordinate efforts to provide shelter, health care, drinking water and ready-to-eat food rations, he said.

There was concern, he added, that swollen rivers running south would carry the floods to provinces like Sindh where heavy rain was forecast in coming days.
    More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10826105
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

its a punishment from God. I am from pakistan but i live in Canada, I can say that pakistan is one of the worst socities in the world. I am sorry for the lives lost there, but these kinds of tragedies will always happen to a people when they have lost the worth to live

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shammi View Post
    its a punishment from God. I am from pakistan but i live in Canada, I can say that pakistan is one of the worst socities in the world. I am sorry for the lives lost there, but these kinds of tragedies will always happen to a people when they have lost the worth to live
    Or maybe these tragedies will happen more often now that humans encompass the globe, regardless of whether they're "good" or "bad".

Less people = less likelihood of encounters with natural disasters.

More people = increased likelihood of enouters with natural disasters.

God is dead, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by shammi View Post
    if those people could get out of pakistan and find a new life.. other than that, they will continue to suffer ..
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"