+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Second best to the internet?

Second best to the internet?

I don't know if i am letting something small bother me and would like to know if anyone else experiences this.

I think my boyfriend is addicted to the internet. When we wake up in a morning, he rolls over and checks facebook on this iphone. He also does this before bed too. Most of the time before he even says goodmorning or gives me a kiss. He comes in from work and instead of coming to say hello or ask how my day is, i get a quick 'hey' and he goes straight on his laptop where he then spends the next couple of hours until i make his tea. We can be watching tv/a film and he's constantly sat on his computer.. and even if we go out somewhere he always has his iphone out, when we are suppose to be spending time together?

I dont mind him using the internet, i admit i enjoy spending time on it too... but i feel like it's coming between us. i dont want to snuggle up for a dvd with him and his facebook chat..

i've tried talking to him and he says im trying to control him, im definitely not.
    I'd just it if we could spend sometime together that didnt include him checking things online..

does anyone else experience this?

No. But my ex experienced it with me....lols.

But then Im a web and graphic designer, so yeah, I spent a lot of time at the pc designing and creating, I wasn't just checking Facebook and what not.

Guess it would drive me nuts too. I'd give him an ultimatum...you or the PC.

Focus on positives instead of negatives. Don't try to convince him about how facebook or the internet is bad or how he should spend less time - if he is a die-hard computer user then it is a losing battle. Instead, tell him what you want him to do with YOU. Tell him about how much you enjoy snugging with him completely, talking to him, and having his undivided attention. Tell him that you want to spend a certain amount of time each day doing these things. Once you tell him this, suddenly the burden of proof is on him to explain why he can't honor such a simple sweet affectionate request, instead of the burden being on you to explain why Facebook is bad. Pretend Facebook doesn't even exist. Then put him in a situation where he has to say "no I cant cuddle with you because..." and then it might make him think twice.

- This is coming from someone who is obsessed with the internet and uses computers the majority of the day (for lots of stuff; not just dorky social networking), yet when I'm sharing a moment with my man, or in any real life social setting for that matter, I manage to stop completely.
    Last edited by terra; 16-09-10 at 01:35 PM.

gosh i don't think i could put up with that. i think you should give him clear points as to how youre feeling and ask him why he feels the need to go on it almost 24/7. if it's starting to become a big problem i'd say an ultimatum is in order.
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

I think that the internet can become very addictive. Perhaps he needs to seek help, as one would for any other addiction.