+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I Don't Want to Regret :( ~ What do i do?

I Don't Want to Regret :( ~ What do i do?

I'm 25, young, and rather happy with my life. I've been with an amazing man for about 2.5 years now and my entire family loves him. I've even started day dreaming about the day he asks me to his... I know it sounds corny for a 25 year old to say, but it's true. We've touched on the topic of our future and I know he loves me and wants to get married one day. I couldn't be happier

Then there is Mike.

Mike I've known since I was 3. We have story-after-story of growing up together, living thousands of miles apart, but still have this chemistry. We've never dated, we've never kissed. We've always been friends. We have gone years without talking, and then someone will randomly call or text the other, we start up talking again and then it slowly fades away. Mike and I started just talking again within the last week or so... and it's happened again. I am in the clouds when we talk. We laugh. We flirt. We reminisce. We talk of our dreams and what we want to do with our lives. He supports me and I support him 100%. I consider him my best friend, because of anyone I know he will be the one that will drop the world if I needed him.

He's been with a girl about 2 years now as well, and in about 3 months he's getting married to her.

We talk mostly jokingly, but we go through these short conversations where he admits that he'll never love someone the way he loves me. I usually try to roll it off and just laugh it off. But it bothers me. The excitement I have to be around him is more than what I've had with any man... period. He's my best friend and I know I will always love him. Part of me is always going to be with him. And now I'm second guessing my relationship, and his, and why we've done this for years.

I'm scared. He's getting married. I'm getting close to the point where I'm expecting an engagement. But we both have fully admitted our love for each other, but nothing changes. I don't want to go to his wedding and watch him marry this great girl when I know part of my heart is with him and part of his with me. It's been about 1.5 years since we've seen each other (and yes that is normal for us). I almost feel like I need to find him one last time before he gets married and just say - is this what you want... because I need to know.

I don't want us to be happy and married 10 years down the road, but still have this regret we never gave "us" a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MerrieMelodies View Post
    We talk mostly jokingly, but we go through these short conversations where he admits that he'll never love someone the way he loves me.
    But we both have fully admitted our love for each other, but nothing changes.
    Have you guys explicitly referred to your situation as romantic love or are you filling in the gaps with what you think he meant?
    His admission is very ambiguous, so for starters you have to be sure that it's mutual. It could just as easily be platonic or brotherly.

sounds like a movie...of course you need to tell him how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Have you guys explicitly referred to your situation as romantic love or are you filling in the gaps with what you think he meant?
    His admission is very ambiguous, so for starters you have to be sure that it's mutual. It could just as easily be platonic or brotherly.
    I know there is that genuine friend/platonic love there, that's always been there. But we've never directly discussed our relationship. When I would be serious, he would play it off like I was joking. And vice versa. What gets to me is the little things that slip into our conversations... for example today I said I was looking forward to meeting the girl who stole his heart - aka his fiance. His response was "go look in a mirror and you'll see her". I laughed it off, and he just says "I'm serious". Then we just move on in our conversation....Stuff like this has happened throughout the last couple of years.

I just don't know, and its not exactly easy to just hop on the phone to say "Hey, so do you love me or do you not?" I'm so afraid and ashamed of feeling this way ~ I don't want to watch him walk down the aisle when I think it could of been me if I just asked him. But is asking him worth everything I have now?

go look in a mirror and you'll see her
    that doesn't sound platonic...

I'll just leave this here

^^^ I hope that makes your decision easier