+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Too Young For Him?

Am I Too Young For Him?

I'm 18 and my boy friend of seven months is 26. Yes, eight years apart. He fell for me because he thought was extremely mature for my age and more agreeable than any girl he'd met. He said he'd given up on looking for the one after a series of failed relationships until he got to know me. We entered our relationship with expectations of seriousness and permanency. We've know each other for nearly three years, but he of course never considered me until now. He's my first boy friend and that really puts me at a disadvantage experience-wise.

As the months pass, my immaturity reveals itself more and more and I feel his withdrawal. He gets frustrated with the way I handle things and I can't blame him. I could walk away if I didn't know I could spend the rest of my life with him. I owe it to him to be the Me that he fell inlove with. Is my immaturity something that can overcome with time? Please tell me how.

I need advice about what makes a girl "mature" enough for you when it comes to dealing with relationship matters, tips on solving dating low points, insight on overcoming age difference. If you need more info on our relationship, I'd be happy to give it. I don't know anyone with enough experience and success to give me proper advice and I'm lost without any outside help. Please help!

I have kind of the opposite problem, i like a woman 7 years older than me, trust me i'd rather be in your shoes, much more socially acceptable, even though it's 2010 we still live in the dark ages with regards to whats socially acceptable and what isn't.

Firstly, you don't "owe" him anything, just be you and that should be good enough, secondly don't waste your time trying to be more "mature" than your years, you won't be able to keep up the act, the thing is you are 18 years old and dating an older person, your life is changing and you are going to grow up and mature naturally during this time anyway, if he picked you rather than a girl his own age then he likes you, right? so just be you, if you do want some advice just try and be considerate and understanding, young people usually don't have much patience, so try and think before you say things, good advice for life in general that is.

You're 18 years old... do you know how much people would give to be that age again? You have all the time in the world to be mature once you are at least a few years older, but you're 18 only once so just try to appreciate what you have right now. Your bf has an expectation that you can't fill... you are too young, and only time can change that! Tell him you will continue to be you and if he has a problem with that then he isn't as mature as he thinks himself to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blent View Post
    Your bf has an expectation that you can't fill... you are too young, and only time can change that! Tell him you will continue to be you and if he has a problem with that then he isn't as mature as he thinks himself to be.
    this doesn't make any sense. Why is it the boyfriend's fault for not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who is too immature for him?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Girls always think they're "mature for their age".

Honestly, it never takes long for them to prove they really aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
    I have kind of the opposite problem, i like a woman 7 years older than me, trust me i'd rather be in your shoes, much more socially acceptable, even though it's 2010 we still live in the dark ages with regards to whats socially acceptable and what isn't.

Firstly, you don't "owe" him anything, just be you and that should be good enough, secondly don't waste your time trying to be more "mature" than your years, you won't be able to keep up the act, the thing is you are 18 years old and dating an older person, your life is changing and you are going to grow up and mature naturally during this time anyway, if he picked you rather than a girl his own age then he likes you, right? so just be you, if you do want some advice just try and be considerate and understanding, young people usually don't have much patience, so try and think before you say things, good advice for life in general that is.
    Wow, that's some of the best advice I've received. Thank you for your response.

Tell him to stop being an old fart. His young too u know.. I say be urself, have fun and let him see the real you. Maybe.. he will lighten up instead of being too serious. good luck

We can all sit here and tell you that you need to compromise, that people need personal space (but not too much), that both partners need to be able to carry their weight and so on. However being told these things and experiencing/doing them (and not doing them) and the possible effects are totally different. You can't help but be who you are. Maturity comes with experience, period. Either he can be your experience (which will result in you learning a lot, but also in a failed relationship), or you can separate while on good terms and find each other in a few years after you have learned more about relationships through others. You may end up falling for someone else, and so may he, but you both could also become more experienced and have a better relationship later on.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonandfork View Post
    this doesn't make any sense. Why is it the boyfriend's fault for not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who is too immature for him?
    It's his fault because he decided to date someone 8 years younger than him and then complain that the person isn't acting the way someone his age would...

It's his fault because he decided to date someone 8 years younger than him and then complain that the person isn't acting the way someone his age would...
    we don't know the details of their relationship. Therefore, you can't lay the blame on him. For all we know he was deceived by her 'acting' mature early in their relationship and then learned of her faults over the course of them dating

A new Social Network meeting : celibacity.com

we don't know the details of their relationship. Therefore, you can't lay the blame on him. For all we know he was deceived by her 'acting' mature early in their relationship and then learned of her faults over the course of them dating
    If he is as mature as he considers himself to be then he would know that obviously someone much younger than he is will be less mature... especially when she's only 18. Her bf has had other relationships in the past, but this is her first relationship... I wonder why? How can he possibly expect a serious relationship out of this?

If he is as mature as he considers himself to be then he would know that obviously someone much younger than he is will be less mature... especially when she's only 18. Her bf has had other relationships in the past, but this is her first relationship... I wonder why? How can he possibly expect a serious relationship out of this?
    maturity does not equal clairvoyance. Although older people in general are more mature than younger individuals, by the same token some older people are more immature. Please stop laying the blame on the boyfriend when you know nothing about him

maturity does not equal clairvoyance. Although older people in general are more mature than younger individuals, by the same token some older people are more immature. Please stop laying the blame on the boyfriend when you know nothing about him
    You don't need to be clairvoyant to understand that someone at the age of 18 is going to show signs of immaturity here and there. She's still a kid, and it's his fault for expecting her to act like a 26 year old.

You don't need to be clairvoyant to understand that someone at the age of 18 is going to show signs of immaturity here and there. She's still a kid, and it's his fault for expecting her to act like a 26 year old.
    lol, were you used by a guy? You seem hellbent on blaming the guy you know nothing about. Here's a thought: neither of them are at fault

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast