+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I loved her from afar

I loved her from afar

My case is somewhat unique, you see i grew up shy and not as well off as other kids, but i really fell in love with this girl from junior high, i still remember what she wore from the first day i saw her, the years past by and i knew she wanted to be with me too but wanted me to make the first move which i could not, although she gave me plenty of oppurtunities to approach her, but i was shy and felt i had nothing to offer her back then. We have grown older now and both have children of our own, we come upon each other now and again and stare at each other wondering what might have been, my heart still aches for her after all these years, i have a wife and kids now as does she, i know it's too late, but i want to know how i can get over her and move on with my life, as she is my biggest regret and always will be, i just want to move on, has anyone had this same scenario, i feel messed up about the whole thing.

Sounds like a case of "high-school sweethearts" at a junior level. This is not so uncommon...many of my clients find themselves having a crush on someone, but later getting on with their life (family, kids) and still having lustful feelings or ruminating thoughts towards someone they've known. This is human nature. As you seem determined to put this behind you, can i suggest an emotional cleansing exercise. Write a letter, in your private time, about how you feel about this girl, how you've thought of her over the years, write out the thoughts you've had of her, and how you're now ready to let the feelings and thoughts go because you need let it go. Then take that letter into your backyard (or outdoors somewhere)...and set it alight...and watch it wither away...Done! you will be free. Best wishes. Dr Drew

That's just "If statements" . . . it doesn't really matter anyways because you both have moved on and you are living your own lives.

It's completely natural, wondering about fantasy worlds and the things you haven't done but hey . . . learn to love reality and live with what you have.

nice topic!