+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your partner from another country? Good or bad?

Is your partner from another country? Good or bad?

Just interested. I'm English but live in France and my last 3 partners have been French. I have found the experience to be very positive - in the sense that you can share your culture (music, film etc) with somebody and understand better the culture of another country. Anyone have any experiences? BTW, I speak fluent French which obviously helps a lot!

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm polish, my bf is french and atm we live in Spain Differences ... He eats sweet food for breakfast and thinks i'm crazy because I eat salty food. Or I can eat sweet and after salty and after sweet etc, and he doesn't eat salty things after sweet etc...He eats a lot of cheese and for me potato is national vegetable n°1. And besides were pretty similar, we say "Polak,Francuz dwa bratanki" Anyway, I don't think about such differences... We are in Europe, wherever you go, there are different people,different languages and different cultures
    I wazzzz here

I'm an American. I had an exclusive relationship with a Serbian girl for two years, it just didn't work out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    I'm polish, my bf is french and atm we live in Spain Differences ... He eats sweet food for breakfast and thinks i'm crazy because I eat salty food. Or I can eat sweet and after salty and after sweet etc, and he doesn't eat salty things after sweet etc...He eats a lot of cheese and for me potato is national vegetable n°1. And besides were pretty similar, we say "Polak,Francuz dwa bratanki" Anyway, I don't think about such differences... We are in Europe, wherever you go, there are different people,different languages and different cultures
    My ex GF was from Poland but naturalised French. So we often spoke French which wasn't my original language or hers!

I'm Swedish, had a 2-year relationship with a girl from Hong Kong while living in Australia, worked out great, but ended because of changes in the migration system.

To be honest I usually don't bother with girls who have been wherever I'm at since birth, nowhere near as interesting and still living on their daddy's credit card.

Yes and good. Lately I wonder whether having a partner born in a different country is a prerequisite to a good relationship.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Could be Misha I never was actually with a polish guy, just some highschool flirts but I wouldn't count them as relationships + all those guys broke my heart with light speed
    I wazzzz here

There aint much of a difference between Europeans I don't think. Other than a differing cusine, music, language, we are off and on the same type of people. So I fail to see why an English guy paired with a French girl would cause any significant problem in a relationship.

I was involved with a Mid Eastern guy and Im white English. We were from two totally different worlds, for culture, lifestyle, traditions and religions differed. It would cause mega problems for some, but for us it didn't. I think the huge differences made it all the more interesting and I doubt the fact I didn't like curry or bhangra music, would have caused a breakup.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    There aint much of a difference between Europeans I don't think. Other than a differing cusine, music, language, we are off and on the same type of people. So I fail to see why an English guy paired with a French girl would cause any significant problem in a relationship.
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. It is like someone from California dating someone from the South. (shrug)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Well, my husband is from the US; however, he is Thai/Vietnamese. His family over here keeps a lot of their asian traditions. The biggest problem I have with it is they keep trying to push their food on me. Seriously, I'm getting tired of them telling me I just need to try it. They've even tried to trick me into eating things... this caused a HUGE blow out.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There aint much of a difference between Europeans I don't think. Other than a differing cusine, music, language, we are off and on the same type of people. .
    This is a huge difference . We have also different cultures, we do... Different traditions... Different habits . We differ a lot . Just because for you a different skin colour is what it takes to make nations different... Well . We may be similar but not the same.
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    This is a huge difference . We have also different cultures, we do... Different traditions... Different habits . We differ a lot . Just because for you a different skin colour is what it takes to make nations different... Well . We may be similar but not the same.
    It's funny because many people don't think there are differences between asians and it frustrates my husband to no end.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hahaa I know, it's soo ignorant ,but it's true Most of people don't see any differences between Asians Lol, when I go with my bf to "japanese" restaurants,we're always guessing if the stuff is actually Japanese or if they are Chinese or Vietnamese like in most cases lol We then listen them talking and try to guess if it's chinese or japanese lol
    I wazzzz here

I have to disagree. There are massive differences - cuisine, music, film language, work habits, clothing, religion, family life - which for me makes it a very pleasant and interesting experience. It does not cause a problem for me at all - provided you can communhicate and respect the other culture it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Yes and good. Lately I wonder whether having a partner born in a different country is a prerequisite to a good relationship.
    Yea no kidding. What the hell.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast