+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long Distance Relationship Advice: North America to Europe

Long Distance Relationship Advice: North America to Europe

Hi Everyone,

This summer I met and fell in love with an amazing girl.
    Last edited by Hal2001; 09-10-10 at 10:04 PM.

Oh, you sound so sweet. Here is my advice.
    Since you are so far apart, try to stay really good friends without actually being in a relationship. Sometime the pressure of a long distance relationship can make it go bad, instead, start off on a low simmer. Over the three years talk and develop a lasting bond, outside of, "I love you". Date others so you don't go mad, and when the time is right, when you like six months out from living in the same country, tell her how much you love her. This way you aren't just two people trying to make a relationship work under bad odds, you are two people developing a caring, lasting friendship that could be more.

To be completely honest I don't think your relationship will work - you are simply too far apart geographically. How can you really have a relationship with someone that you can't physically be with? Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkle_jello View Post
    Oh, you sound so sweet. Here is my advice.
    Since you are so far apart, try to stay really good friends without actually being in a relationship. Sometime the pressure of a long distance relationship can make it go bad, instead, start off on a low simmer. Over the three years talk and develop a lasting bond, outside of, "I love you". Date others so you don't go mad, and when the time is right, when you like six months out from living in the same country, tell her how much you love her. This way you aren't just two people trying to make a relationship work under bad odds, you are two people developing a caring, lasting friendship that could be more.
    This could be the best advice.

My friends have been in this exact situation too many times and it's always ended the same way: messy breakups from 1000s of miles away. Even after having been together for a year or longer, this is what always happens. Unless you actually plan to be together in an long-term meaningful way within a year, it's going to be torturous for both of you. And even if you think/know you can handle the distance, you don't know that she can. You're both at the mercy of geography. If there's something between you and it's real, I believe it would still be there when you're living in the same place.

As much as you don't want to hear it, I don't think it's realistic to try to pursue this. Stay close and in contact. You never know what's round the corner. 'Keep the parentheses open' is what I always tell my friends.

3 years for a long term relationship? . . . how are old are you two? are you BOTH ready for such commitment?

Just now, I'd say be friends but don't try for a relationship . . .be realistic else you might miss a lot of local opportunity