+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a big joke to my old friends.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    at some point it stops being a social competition really. when we are young it is much easier to get along with anyone. but as we age, we mature at different paces. there's a chance that others might've matured or found themselves already and thus it is a little bit shocking/amusing to them that you are a little bit behind. of course no one has the right to judge, however it is what we all have to face our entire lives.

i sort of wish for you to find a more realistic goal. something that will suit your family as well as you.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Not sure what it's like in the states, but from what I hear working over here (Australia) as a cop has absolutely massive benefits in terms of salary, healthcare, insurance and pension.

Which is kinda funny given the history

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    but i was serious. i've never heard of a woman wanting to tackle someone.
    I have no anger issues. I do have a very dominating personality. I enjoy physical interaction in certain ways. I've done martial arts for six years (stopped years ago) and I always liked physical confrontation, but not as a way to be mean or take out anger, almost as a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Social competition is kinda silly, if your old friends were good friends it wouldn't impact it, but people love the drama and the gossip.

Good luck on your dream, will they allow you to retry in a year or so?
    I know social competition is silly, but I'm the butt of a joke, I don't like this.

I can try again in a year. I am super nervous because I will still have braces AND I already know my hearing is horrible. I may get my hearing checked by someone else in the next coming months. Meanwhile, over the next year I am going to take a few more college courses so I can establish a plan b. In case I can't be a cop I'm going to enroll in a certification program as a radiology tech, there are some prerequisites that my HC degree didn't cover, so I'll be doing more school... so not cool.

You want to be a cop so you can tackle people? Not so you can serve and protect the public? Help people who are in trouble? So you can tackle people? Sorry to say but the last thing our society needs is another cop on the streets who wants to tackle people.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    You want to be a cop so you can tackle people? Not so you can serve and protect the public? Help people who are in trouble? So you can tackle people? Sorry to say but the last thing our society needs is another cop on the streets who wants to tackle people.
    Ha, it's not just about tackling people, but I glamorize the job in my mind. I just want a really physical job. I'm the type that's not content sitting down and doing a spread sheet, I want an element of danger to my work, and I like a certain level of power/control. Every person works best under a certain condition, I've found that I work best under extreme circumstances. Like having to do something at the very last minute, or when I was in the military we had wargames that simulated grenades going off and such, when a certain 'event' happens, I go into this mode, it might be due to adrenaline, but I suddenly feel super human... I know I'm physically stronger, my aim gets dead on (I shoot bow and I'm an okay shot, but under pressure I'm a kill shot), my mind becomes completely focused, and I usually take control of these situations. Many people panic in crisis, but it's when I step up to the plate, take charge, and kick ass. The context of tackling is all about the adrenaline... I go in on a police raid, I see someone escaping out the back, I chase them, I tackle them.... it's really exciting to me, and something I want to do every day.

About helping people, of course I want to help people. If I could do anything in law enforcement it would be to someone stop human sex trafficing, specifically minors... but lets face it, people can do that sitting behind a computer gathering information, I want to be the one in the heat of the battle.

Well from what I've learned being an officer involves a whole lot of sitting in a car, doing paperwork, waiting for things to happen with once in a while bouts of relative excitement. Unless maybe you're working in chicago or something.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    Well from what I've learned being an officer involves a whole lot of sitting in a car, doing paperwork, waiting for things to happen with once in a while bouts of relative excitement. Unless maybe you're working in chicago or something.
    Yeah, well I really don't want to write traffic tickets, but I feel that if I can really apply myself there I can get my choice of assignments. For the next year, until I can test again, I'm volunteering as a crisis counselor, basically I go to the scene of the crime, comfort victims and such. This is a challenge for me because one aspect of my personality is I find it difficult to be sympathetic in some situation, but because of the position, no matter what I'm called in for I must be empathetic, even if the victim was an idiot. I'm actually going to classes and sensitivity training to help me with this issue, and I feel like I've overcome my initial hesitation. I hope next year they see how much I've applied myself and realize that I'm not a little kid trying to play cops and robbers....

You watch too many TV shows. You probably think that being an officer is like CSI or something... I know someone who was a cop for a few years, she's in homeland security now, though. Being a cop is pretty boring, that's why they take advantage of their powers - to entertain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    You watch too many TV shows. You probably think that being an officer is like CSI or something... I know someone who was a cop for a few years, she's in homeland security now, though. Being a cop is pretty boring, that's why they take advantage of their powers - to entertain themselves.
    I have a couple cop friends, I've had some insight. There are times when the job is boring, but there are some good times as well. My friend said for the first year I would probably be pretending to be a prostitute and crap like that, I guess they do that a lot with the female cops. Another thing, which I thought was funny, is they have a shortage of women cops... one perp was a female that said she needed to go to the hospital because there was crack in her pussy and it was burning her, she went and the nurse said she couldn't find any. Some time later she started going nuts in her cell, they had to call in a female cop to fish crack out of her vagina... they found it, the baggie it was in was broke... and I guess this is actually common. I'm not thrilled about druggie snatch, but I can do it. My friend has fun going to parks where teenagers have sex in their car and scaring the shit out of them. He never tickets them, or takes them in, but he scares the living daylights out of them... it's funny actually.

When living in Tucson I had a friend that got out of the military and became a cop, he ended up getting shot in the shoulder his first couple months on the job. My husband was upset because of this, for years he wouldn't let me apply and I respected him for it, I'm his wife. When he saw how desperately I wanted it he warmed to the idea, and gave his support. Even though he is supportive, I can't help but feel he was relieved I didn't make it.

I'd love to pretend to be a prostitute. What kind of degree do you have? A BFA in theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I'd love to pretend to be a prostitute. What kind of degree do you have? A BFA in theatre?
    Huh? A BA in HC Admin?

I like the prospect of pretending to be a prostitute. It sounds exciting to me, in truth, I think it would be cool to dress like one....

Cops really suck. I hate every single one. Don't become societal leech that makes their living off of making other people miserable. I know they do some good, but for the most part, they're worthless. Consider it a blessing that you failed.

Quote Originally Posted by BackUpOrGetStng View Post
    Cops really suck. I hate every single one. Don't become societal leech that makes their living off of making other people miserable. I know they do some good, but for the most part, they're worthless. Consider it a blessing that you failed.
    That is a horrible thing to say. These are the people who strive to protect the public, just because they also have less appealing aspects of their job like writing tickets doesn't mean in any way that they are a social leech. Police officers DIE trying to protect people and do their job, they deserve our respect.

"Police officers DIE trying to protect people and do their job, they deserve our respect"

I'm pretty sure they knew the risk going into it, I have zero sympathy. You try to take someone's freedom, you deserve whatever happens, IMO. Not saying I'm taking the side of criminals, but they take away the freedom of nonviolent offenders everyday and I put cops and criminals on the same level..I laugh when cops die. Individually, maybe some do deserve our respect, but as a whole I don't agree. Personally, I think they deserve whatever they get...if thats a medal of valor and a promotion, fine...if it's a bullet in the back of the head, also fine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast