+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Living Nightmare - Thoughts Ladies?

Living Nightmare - Thoughts Ladies?

(posted in Break-Ups as well but I really want a girl's opinion on this)

Okay mates, I've read your stories, I've heard the battle cry of No Contact and I've gone through the "get back your ex" books and such. I'd be very curious to see what the veterans of this particular war would view my situation as and so here goes...

My Fiancee (now ex) and I were living happily together for many years. We'd been together for 4 years before I'd asked her to marry me. We had a little rockiness here and there but no more than other relationships. I unfortunately lost my job back in late 2008 and had to take a job working nights to keep food on our table and a roof over our head. She says that she never looked down at me for taking that kind of work, and instead she was proud. I on the other hand was ashamed, angry, hurt and naturally depressed about the loss of what I saw was my career. 2009 was a really rough year for us but we struggled onward.

Then in the Summer of 2009, she went away to a Field Camp class for her profession. She was gone for a total of 6 weeks and when she came back she was a different person. Immediately I felt threatened by what happened, I felt that she had met somebody out there, that she didn't want to be with me, all the most horrible feelings you could think of. She gave everyone else but me time and attention and then I got the scraps.

She told me flat out when she came home that she didn't know what she wanted for her life anymore. That included me. I said I'd work to change her opinion of that and underwent a tremendous transformation back to the person I was before the depression and anger set in and messed me up. She told me she doubted the changes would stick, she was always doubting me, waiting for me to mess up.

Within a month and a half she took off the Engagement ring I gave her and said that she can't wear something that she is in so much doubt over.

We managed to make things work, we grew closer together slowly and then somehow it all went wrong. She began to think I was snooping through her personal emails, Facebook, etc. She felt I didn't trust her and then she broke it off 2 weeks ago. She said we have no trust and thus in reality we have nothing. "I love you but I can't be with you if I don't trust you, and I don't right now."

Here's the kicker, we live together in the same apartment. Have been for years. I see her everyday, we have dinner together, and say goodnight and adjourn to separate rooms. She has asked me for the dreaded "time and space" deal to get her head clear. In return, I vowed not to talk about our now dead relationship (past, future or otherwise). If things were so horrific being with me, I'd imagine she'd have truly packed up and left by now.

How the hell do I approach No Contact in a situation like this? I'm doing my best to ignore her, to not be the sweet person she remembers, but it's as natural as breathing for me. I love her so much and I know she loves me too. I hear from her friend that she really needs "a friend" right now. Someone she can depend on, talk to, and learn to trust again.

I've been given the advice to be her friend, just have fun with her and let things progress back together naturally. There's of course the risk of losing everything and being stuck in the damned friend zone. I don't want a friend, I want my future wife back. She told me to date, but in the same breath, she's told her friend she sort of regrets saying that. I'm trying to bury my heart, to try and move on and at the same time to try and win her heart.

In the meantime I die everyday seeing her go to sleep on an air matress while I sleep on my bed alone.

So after a heart-to-heart with her best friend this is what has been found out ( and believe me she's truthful when I tell you this).

"She's really still very confused and hurt about everything that happened in the past year and how you treated her. There is absolutely nobody else and she definitely loves you. She needs time and space to clear her head and really needs me to be there for her as a friend right now. She has to resolve issues within herself and also dealing with you."

I'm told that I need to believe her when she tells me something. We're still living together, we're still acting as if we're sort of in a relationship but not. This is going to be the start of week 3 since the breakup and I haven't said anything to her about reconciling. My belief is that if I focus on myself and do what I can to make me happy, it will make her happy and we may yet still have a chance, maybe she'll remember what our life was like before?

She doesn't call me her ex, she tells everyone she knows that she honestly doesn't know if we can fix this but she's hoping that somehow we can. At the end of the day she tells me all about what happened, etc like normal. We eat dinner, enjoy the evening and then say good night to our separate rooms.

what.would.you.do and how long should I wait before trying to reconcile?

if you want to leave then leave, but to me it sounds like you want to stay,
    just carry on as you have been, be yourself, try stay positive
    dont push her, dont smother her but be there if she needs it
    if you want her back then stick with it.
    if she wants you she'll come back to you eventually