+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Guys advice on dating?

Guys advice on dating?

Ok - last night I went out with a couple of girlfriends and we had a great night. We met loads of interesting people, men and women, it was just one of those warm, fuzzy drunken nights where everyone was in a good mood. It was a real laugh.*

I got out of a long-term relationship at the start of this year and I'm only just starting to get back into the single life and I feel ready, if not for a serious relationship then at least to see other people. But I'm a little confused about the dating scene - I don't really know what I'm doing!

Here's my problem - we must have met about 9 or 10 really lovely men last night. They were funny, smart, happy - just lovely, lovely people and I really enjoyed their company. But every single one of them gave as much attention to each of my girlfriends and me. They had their arms around us, were talking very attentively. But then when the group positions changed they would do the same with the next one of us! One of them asked for my number later but he'd just got my friend's number and I felt wierd about it so I said no.
    Just generally, what do people think? Is that normal for a guy not to care which girl in a group he ends up with? Am I just being uptight about the guy asking for my number after getting my friend's? There was one guy who I would have given my number to, to see if he'd like to meet up again, but it was impossible to tell if he liked me any more than he liked my friends so I didn't. (Not that he asked for it!)
    I suppose the guys might not have been sure which one of them we liked. Is this just the way it happens when you're out meeting people? Is it silly to expect to be liked more than your friends the first time you meet someone?

"...Is it silly to expect to be liked more than your friends the first time you meet someone?..."
    In that situation, yes. The guys were putting their best foot forward and seeing if any of the women there were interested. Think of it as old-fashioned "speed-dating". In different group dynamics, the roles may be reversed some.

If it happens again, just soak up all the attention, find a guy or two who seem like decent fellows and give your best "come hither" body language. Strike up conversation and see where it goes.

-PP

To me it seems most likely they were just trying to get girls numbers to hook up with. Unfortunately at a club or a bar thats all your really going to find. That being said they are not nexessarily all bad guys. In my opinion if you are really attracted to a guy in the future in a similar situation, you should give him your number and possibly go on dates in the future to see what your compadabilty is. Meeting someone in a senario like that at first glance is not a fair way to make assumptions of what a person is really like.

There are some obvious signs of what a guy is looking for: If he wants to hook up usually there will be lost of touching (lower back, neck, cheek, inner thigh), he'll likely whisper in your ear, things of that nature. If he is genuinley attracted to you he'll give you your personal space, have broken eye contact (look at your for a little then look away - shyness), if he wants to touch you he'll probably try to touch or hold your hands, and finally before he goes he'll hug you (but not like that pervy just-tryin-to-grab-some-ass hug).

Here's the thing. Whether he got your friend's number first, or not, you are the one who will decide where it goes. There's really no harm in going out on a date where you can get to know the person one on one. If he wants to simultaneously date you and your friend, that's different. I agree that bars (under the influence of booze) are not the #1 place to meet someone you will be totally compatible with (unless you are both alcoholic bar stars). If you really want to know how you feel about someone, it helps to be sober. If you feel 'drunk on love', that's probably a damn good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Is that normal for a guy not to care which girl in a group he ends up with? Am I just being uptight about the guy asking for my number after getting my friend's?
    If it is only for sex, then the guy doesn't really care. . . he is playing a numbers game.
    You post, you ask questions, you give facts --> I reply, I give quotations, I have opinions

exaclty, even thou the sex is kind of important for all of us, without some emotions, kindness or at last little love, he isn't worthy