+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I in Love for the First Time at 34?

Am I in Love for the First Time at 34?

I'm a 34 year old guy and met this great 26 year old woman a month ago. At first, I thought she was cute, nice, and worth going out on a few dates with. We sat and talked for hours, and it was really fun. I liked her a lot at that point, but was real busy with work projects, etc. so wasn't really thinking about her all the time except when we would make plans, etc.

Then, as I got to know a little more especially this last week, my feelings for her just exploded. Of course I've had dates and girlfriends in the past, and can say I admired and liked hanging out with them, but I have NEVER felt anything like this before. I'm a very rational and highly educated guy, but I feel like a little inexperienced 13 year old when dealing with my feelings for her because this is so new to me! I've never had such a high!

I think about her when I go to bed and when I wake up. I want to talk to her all the time. I get worried about her when she's alone. I get enraged if anything bothers or threatens her. We laugh like little kids together. I don't see a single serious flaw in her. I can pass hours in the blink of an eye just thinking and smiling about her. I can envision happily being only with her the rest of my life. I no longer see any other (even if physically very attractive) woman as stacking up anywhere near her. With each new thing I find out about her I love her more. Tears come to my eyes when I think about how much I love her!

So I think my emotions tell me I love this woman with all my heart. But my rational mind says I've only known her a little over a month, so how could I possibly know her enough to "love" her already! Plus, how do I know what love really is? Is this because other friends are married etc. and I subconsciously want to be too? I try to study it and see what others have said and I think I fit all the characteristics. But never in my life have I thrown my logical mind to the wind like this!

It's a real high and I feel like a little boy having a crush! But I'm 34 for god's sake and experienced in the world! So that's my story. I'm writing it here because maybe some older men or women can help me sort this all through:

1) Is this really *true* love I'm feeling?

2) From what I can tell she seems to have strong feelings for sure, but I can't possibly imagine they would be as strong as what I'm feeling! I feel she might but she's only known me a month so how could she?

2) Should I tell her I love her? What if she's shocked and scared away at such a crazy thought since how could I already even know her that well! I desperately want to tell her but don't want to scare her. I fear the spark she has for me might fade if I dump this overpowering feeling on her so soon!

3) We've been intimate already, but I was so nervous and wanted to impress her so much of course I couldn't perform like I could with other girls that gave me no such emotions before. She said it would happen when it happened but I can't help but think she must have some doubts about me because of that. Could this happen to a man truly in love? I'm only 34 for god's sake and she is very hot (and says I am too so it's not that).

4) What happens now? I can't imagine this emotional high lasting too much longer? Will my brain bring me back down to earth somehow where it has always grounded my previous relationships?

HELP!

Lol . . . you know what's happening "my rational mind says I've only known her a little over a month, so how could I possibly know her enough to "love" her already!"

1) Well this is an obsessive infatuation feeling.

2) If you think so, then why don't you try asking her out? . . . but remember this, lots of this 'love' is an illusion - don't get too crushed if things don't work out

3) Well then don't let your emotion wild out of control . . . take it easy, get grounded in reality

3) This 'love' high won't last much longer . . . hopefully.
    You post, you ask questions, you give facts --> I reply, I give quotations, I have opinions