+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A painting that made me feel uneasy....

A painting that made me feel uneasy....

Quick background. Met a girl on eHARMONY about 5 1/2 weeks ago. Very strong so far, very. We are 100% open, honest, and ourselves around each other. Things have just been unbelievable, never really met someone who I can be myself completely, and the same with her. So she's spent the night a handful of times at my place (it's easier for her in the morning with work, then me going to her place).

Last night, was the first time I spent the night at her place. I walked into her bedroom, and saw this huge painting of a naked lady over the bed. I asked "What is that?" and she said "That's me." I was immediately creeped out. I just saw Titanic the movie a few weeks ago, and it reminded me of that. A little background: She was with a guy 5 years, they were engaged, and he is an artist. I am not sure how long ago that ended, I want to say maybe 2 years ago. But I guess he painted that picture of her, and to be honest, I can't recall being that uncomfortable in a long time. Why? I don't really know. I never really brought this up to her yet. I told her when I woke up this morning that I had a horrible night sleep, bad dreams, and today was an off day. She made me breakfast, comforted me, and I told her if I can organize and rationalize whats on my mind, I might share. I don't like holding anything back, as that is not me. But I am not sure what to think. Some would look at it as an innocent painting I am sure. Any input? This being blown out of proportion?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think you're uncomfortable with the painting I think you're uncomfortable that some dude saw her naked and she posed for him long enough to paint it.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you should get the **** over it, man. Don't talk about it or anything. Just get over it.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I think you should get the **** over it, man. Don't talk about it or anything. Just get over it.
    Great advice, thanks

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's your weird obsession. You describe something like Poe would write.. I half expect you to stare at it for hours on end before bursting into the bedroom to stab the damn painting to pieces.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

@ Gribble - you're thinking of Oscar Wilde.

I agree with Girl68's post - imho you're likely crepped out that you're confronted with the fact that she was a sexual being before meeting you. It's a polite fiction that people often engage in, but you can't even subconsciously pretend otherwise.

First response is to try and ignore it.

Second, if it really is a good painting, then admire it and your potential lover.

-PP

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm thinking of the Telltale Heart. Poe.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic_Partner View Post
    @ Gribble - you're thinking of Oscar Wilde.

I agree with Girl68's post - imho you're likely crepped out that you're confronted with the fact that she was a sexual being before meeting you. It's a polite fiction that people often engage in, but you can't even subconsciously pretend otherwise.

First response is to try and ignore it.

Second, if it really is a good painting, then admire it and your potential lover.

-PP
    You are probably right. I guess it's part of life, each day we encounter things that we've never encountered before, faced with situations that are new. This is definitely one of them.

You've only known her five and a half weeks and already you are chewing over stuff that happened in the past.

Get over it, or set her free to find a guy who doesn't whinge at the least little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    set her free to find a guy who doesn't whinge at the least little thing.
    Didn't know it was a little thing, guess I overlooked something.

Who "whinging?" I came on here, and posted an issue I had, and wanted to see if it was legit. You come on here, and degrade. I'm sorry I'm not that Casanova you thought I was. What say you?
    Last edited by gizbug; 08-11-10 at 05:01 AM.

You have every right to feel uncomfortable gizbug. But realize, from what i know, she no longer sees the guy anymore. He's out of her life except through that painting and maybe smaller memoirs. I live with the philosophy of never hate anything that made you smile once. She might be practicing that philosophy. Realize, the girl is into you. Not him anymore. A 5 year relationship is a big part of anyone's life. I would say once you reach a particularly high comfort level with her, then you can question it. We're talking you've been dating for quite a while and are a significant part of her life. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by latinking101 View Post
    You have every right to feel uncomfortable gizbug. But realize, from what i know, she no longer sees the guy anymore. He's out of her life except through that painting and maybe smaller memoirs. I live with the philosophy of never hate anything that made you smile once. She might be practicing that philosophy. Realize, the girl is into you. Not him anymore. A 5 year relationship is a big part of anyone's life. I would say once you reach a particularly high comfort level with her, then you can question it. We're talking you've been dating for quite a while and are a significant part of her life. My 2 cents.
    Latinking: Thanks for a rational approach at the situation. I think I was looking at the painting in the wrong light. More of she posing naked for a painting. Again, something new to me. I guess she must appreciate the picture for her, and not the person who painted it. I am sure she loves the picture, because it captures her. I should be happy I am with her now, and not look at it as something that occurred in the past. Again, I said nothing when I said it, because I needed time to reflect, maybe as a 3rd person view, on it, and come to my own conclusion. I am glad I didn't say anything at that momemt, because it might have come off as irrational. But after time to think about it, I think I blew it out of porportion in my mind. Thanks again.

I have a few paintings of naked women.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I have a few paintings of naked women.
    I bet you do (smile)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast