+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I love you?

I love you?

I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 and a half months now. We have no problem expressing how we feel towards each other and have been telling each other that we love one another for a few months so it's not hard for us to say "I love you" at all.

Recently though on two separate occasions I have said "I love you" to my boyfriend and he didn't say it in return to me.The first time it happened it was on Facebook when he commented on how cute I looked in a picture. After I said thanks he said "anything for you cutie" and then I said "aww, I love you" and he didn't say it back and I know he saw the comment because he commented on my status and his status after that so he had to see the notification. Then the other time it happened I said it through text because he had said something cute and sweet to me in the previous message he had sent along with another subject we were discussing. So I replied with "I love you" and then I continued also talking about the other subject but when he replied it's like he ignored the "I love you" and continued on with the other thing we were talking about. But then a few texts later when he told me he was going to bed he said his usual "good night, I love you, sleep well" to me but I thought it was odd he had ignored that I said it to him in a previous message.

I just don't get it? I mean I know he loves me and I could understand if I said "I love you" to him all the time but I don't say it all the time, actually he usually says it first and he says it the most. I don't know why it frustrates me when he doesn't say it in return.

Also, sometimes when he will say "I love you" first I will say "I love you too" and then he will reply with "I know you do", is he looking for reassurance in that case?

akc is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Doesn't sound like there's a problem. He does say it and like you said he says it more often.

In the circumstances you were expecting reciprocity (facebook and a text) I think it's not weird for him not to say it back. They're both very casual and trivial forms of communication.
    If it was in person and you were being intimate or if you were ending a phone (or even text) conversation then yeah, perhaps expect it then.

Doesn't seem to be a problem in the situations you described though. And I wouldn't confront him about it (at least using those examples) as I think it would come off making you look very pedantic a little bit crazy haha

I think you're overthinking things.

Most likely answer - it's absolutely nothing.

Next most likely - he had a bad day or was a little upset at you that afternoon.

Neither are worth worrying over.

-PP

I agree with the above two posts. I doubt it means anything.