+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Summer fling contacted me, but is it too late to clear something up? Pointless?

Summer fling contacted me, but is it too late to clear something up? Pointless?

Summer fling chatted me on Skype for the first time in 2 months. Talked for almost 2 hours and it all seemed normal and not at all awkward. She brought up the summer and apologized for being afraid and not measuring up. She said even if we'd not spoken in ages and everything happened too quickly, she'd not just forgotten me or our weekend together.

I played it cool and didn't say much about it other than she was right about anything serious being impossible, that I've got no hard feelings, think she's an amazing woman, but hey, that's life. I was too concerned about being nonchalant that I forgot to bring up some things I've felt were unresolved. She had feelings for me and wanted me to see her again before I left. She had been chuffed about me wanting to fly out and see her again soon. After a few weeks of staying in touch and opening up we made plans for me to fly out and travel together. Two days later she was in a panic saying she was confused and didn't realize what was happening between us. That everything was becoming too serious. Contact as it had been basically ceased and she met someone who she's now rather mad for.

So I never worked out what was meant to happen. She was the one who made our weekend together seem like more than just an intensely passionate time. I wanted to explain that I misunderstood too much when we spoke in French and my trip out wasn't meant to be a sign of us being serious. I wasn't going to run off and marry her, quitt my life, etc. I thought she was cool, travelling together would've been fun, but I really just wanted the time and chance to get to know her. I had no expectations. Instead, it felt like pressure and sent her running.

After the 'break up' I expected her to take me off Facebook and Skype but she never did, even though she regularly deletes people. I want to know if there's any possibility of anything at all in the future, even just if it's a normal friendship. If not, why keep me round? I'm not really much of a viable 'back-up' for her if I'm 1000s of miles away. I feel like if she had understood that the trip wasn't indicative of something serious and that I wasn't asking her for anything at all, we'd at least have carried on as we had been, if only as friends.

I'm going back to Ireland for 5 weeks as I always do for winter holiday. This came up during our chat. I can't tell if her responses were measured or strictly polite. Is it too late to tell her what I forgot to mention a few days ago or does that just make me seem desperate and insecure now? Is it too late to change her opinion about any of what happened?

I've been planning to do nothing and assume it's too late to change anything. I'm not going to contact her again before I set off. When I'm back in her city to see a friend I was going to send her a tidy message saying I'll be round for a day or two if she fancies a tea. Then nothing after that. That's sound, no?

Have I dragged this out longer than any reasonable person would do? It's not prevented me from meeting other women, but there's still an overwhelming urge to keep this door open even when I've always shut them firmly and swiftly in the past.
    Last edited by JELEF; 17-11-10 at 11:03 PM.