+ Follow This Topic

Thread: At 18 a girl asked me to marry her when we turn 30

At 18 a girl asked me to marry her when we turn 30

When i was 18 a girl from my high school asked me to marry her if we both still arnt married by the time we hit 30. I took a look at her face and without giving it a single thought i said yes. I was always nice to her and she was always nice to me. She is very pretty(even prettier now) and i love her personality. We never went out on a date but, i did take her to prom. I simply never thought of her that way and was kinda suprised when i found out. I didnt ask her out immediatly because i didnt really want a girlfriend at the time, and i only believe in doing relationships once(on again off again is a waist of time and alo of heartache). So, if i was gonna go out with her i wanted to give it everything i had, which i wouldnt have been able to at that time.

After high school we kinda fell out of contact. We ran off to different colleges and didnt call or anything. I've had relatively little contact(a handful of text messages, none of them romantic or sexual in the least). Its been 3 years since then. I know she hasnt forgotten about it cuz at a party she told one of my friends about it, whih suprised him cuz i havnt told anyone. He immediatly quizzed me about it and said no wonder im never worried about getting a girl(thats a different issue and dosnt relate, just tellin it for a mild humor break).

I believe anyone can love anyone else. I think that marrage is a way for insecure people to tie themselves to one another, that if you truely love someone you would stay together forever anyways. However, if the person i loved wanted i would gladly do the ceremony with them. It also provides legal rights that are useful. I wouldnt be mad or upset if either of us got married before then. But if we both hit 30 then i see no reason not to keep my promise.

I didnt really think on the promise very hard until recently(im kinda a slacker waiting 3 years huh?). Im emotionally confused about it. I dont even know what im confused about exactly. I just wanted to hear some 3rd party opinions so that maybe ill figure it out.

Tldr; when i was 18 a girl asked me to marry her if neither of us are married at 30. Comments?

you cant take these things seriously, usually people say this stuff for the sake of humour. She probably brought it up at the party to be 'funny'.

When she originally said it she was dead serious. But maybe she was just being funny at the party. My friend said she did spend the first while complaining about how i wasnt there(i was supposed to come but didnt go for unrelated reasons). So i believe she is serious about it but im not 100%. ty for your input.

Been there, done that. Means nothing.

Doesn't mean it meant nothing at the time, but you'll both be different people by then (and likely are now).

So, what did it mean then? Likely: "He would make an awesome husband, but he's not really my type and I want to have some fun with life before settling down." Take it as the compliment it likely was, but don't read much more into it.

I say, just be her friend for friendship sake. And if you want, go ahead and give her a simple "Would you like to go out to dinner tomorrow?", but don't let her proclamation shade her answer (either way).

-PP

I kinda think i get what you mean. She didnt wanna get married cuz at the time we were kinda young(still am really) and it locks you out of certain life experiences if you get married that early. But she saw me as good husband material(reliable/ nice guy). Hmm, maybe im overthinking this. Ill probably take your advice in a few months and ask her out. I dont really have alot of money for dinner and i've gotta get back in shape anyways.

Sounds like a chick flick She probably thinks highly of you. And also wanted to make her life a bit movie-like. I would recommend to keep your friendship going and not worry about this promise. If she doesn't forget about it in a 9-years time, she probably just remember about it with a smile.

Reminds me of this stupid movie my ex forced me to watch with her, called Serendipity.

I think if a girl told me that, I would start cheesing out. But if she was sincere, I would probably suggest just dating right then and now. Why wait until 30?