+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The subconscious and brain are amazing

The subconscious and brain are amazing

It amazes me how something like a song that you haven't heard in a while can immediately bring back memories and past events as if you just experienced them yesterday. I heard a song yesterday and as soon as the first note played it took my breath away. I immediately recalled some things that happened a little while ago. I've read that taste (oddly enough) is the the strongest link to past memories, more so than even sight. I personally thought that smell would have been higher on the list, but I suspect that since smell is a part of taste that is the reason why taste ranked higher.

I think that deja vu is also an interesting phenomenon, but maybe that should be another whole thread?
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

You should read some work by Carl Jung
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Carl Jung? Has he published any books, or has he done research without publishing?

*Sigh*

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung]Carl Jung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung#Further_reading]Carl Jung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Ha, I wasn't trying to be lazy mish. I was on my way out of the office and didn't have time to look. It was more of a passing thought that I typed as I hurried to pack up and get on the road this morning. I'm rushing to get home now, so I'll check the links and search engines tomorrow or monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Carl Jung? Has he published any books, or has he done research without publishing?
    You gotta´be kidding me!!Jajajajaja!
    You must have left work in a fright to not realize who Jung was. It´s just funny because he´s like the father of the Study of the Subconscious which is how your tread starts. Early Psychology is divided in two groups: Freudian and Jungian and there was always differences between them. Jung would talk about the Shadow when Freud would refer to the Libido, but Jung delved more into the Subconscious when Freudian techniques would apply assimilation techniques where the analyst focus on the first thing that comes to your mind after you hear a random word.
    Anyway, I don´t mean to mock, it was just funny when you asked if he had published anything, jejejeje.
    Last edited by Iliveinoblivion; 11-12-10 at 06:09 AM.

In the other hand, it´s so true that when we don´t listen to a song for a long time when we hear it again it brings us back in details moments in our life. Sometimes I use Kiss songs to remember when I was a kid, or Air Supply (I don´t like them now at all but they were so famous...), so if I want to travel back in time I look on Youtube for oldies so they take me back...I use Kiss very often, and you?

it's definitely true. the song "love shack" by the b52's is pretty significant for me. i remember the song playing when i was a younger kid...i was born in 85 and the song came out 89. i remember being at a birthday party of some sort. don't recall where exactly, but it was sort of like an indoor playground for birthday parties and such. anyways, my point is that i have a horrible memory, i don't remember much of my childhood at all. but whenever i hear this song i just get this overwhelmingly nice feeling because i was having such a great time at this birthday party as a kid when i first heard it. i still can't control myself when it comes on...i get into a great mood and have to dance. it's pretty cool how the mind works...

and i'm guessing you were referring to one of seal's songs...am i right?
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

Jung... is a genius!

Well I've never really researched or studied formal psychology. I've just observed myself and others for many years and noticed many things. That is why I've never heard of Jung. I suspect that Freud was simply more popular or was simply better known for whatever reason (which is why I know who he is). There are many songs which make me remember various things. 'Black Hole Sun' by Soundgarden immediately takes me back to working with my father as a boy. I remember sweating in his old blue Mazda truck as we went to various jobs during the summertime. 'Ice Cream' by Wu Tang reminds me of summer vacation in middle school when I used to stare out of the window with my speakers blasting in my ears for hours. When I wrote this thread I was indeed speaking about a 'Seal' song though. Specifically 'The Way I Lie'. Amazingly I didn't hear that song until a month or two ago, but I absorbed the lyrics within a few days. I think its because I felt a real connection to the lyrics. As soon as I hear the first note I literally stop breathing for a second before I start to sing along.
    Last edited by Incognito; 13-12-10 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Spelling error

^^i knew it
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

very interesting thread. thanks!