+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Misunderstandings about love

Misunderstandings about love

I've seen a lot of people trying to describe what love is, and some attempts were good. The most correct definition I read on this forum is
    Love is a stupid, overused generalization for thousands of feelings and emotions that all differ in context and variety
    I do not believe that any romantic love for 1 person can be infinite. Neither do I believe that love is unconditional.
    I just wonder what it is that makes people have these emotions.

For some, love is the desire to be with someone they can't have. " Every guy wants me. Why doesn't he? "
    Or the will to change somebody who will never change
    For me, I think it is a very strong attraction towards women who have qualities I wish I had. The ability to not give a F and enjoy sexuality. To just take all the good things in life and not worry about anything.
    People with those qualities are often self centered cheaters because they only care about themselves. They fail in life because it is all one big laugh, but regardless it attracts me and I hate it

Because the qualities I have change with ageing, I think I will start falling for different women once I am more mature. So far immature party girls manage to get in my head and I hope it will end someday

Can someone confirm or deny that the kind of women I fall for will change when I get older? Maybe it will all change once I lose my virginity and realize that enjoying sexuality is not hard to do?
    Last edited by MynameisJesus; 12-01-11 at 04:54 AM.

Yeah I think it will change. At 50 you won't exactly find the young party girl appealing anymore....unless you turn out to be an old pervert.

My tastes are different these days, to my tastes in my youth.

I look back at some of my exes and guys I was attracted too and I'm WTF was I thinking?

Your tastes in woman will change as you also learn what you want in a relationship and what you dont want
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Forgive me for being blunt, it's who and what I am - subtlety is not my strong suit...

I think you're flatly incorrect. You're far too young and inexperienced to have such pessimistic views about love, and I suspect somebody burned you badly in the recent past.

Unconditional love exists - it's rare, and usually only reserved for one's children. Both of my sons could screw up bigtime and I wouldn't stop loving them. It's not something you can help, it's intrinsic in the relationship.

I can't say for certain that love for a member of the opposite sex (or the same sex, if that's your bag) can be boundless, but I've not yet found an upper limit. My love for my wife grows daily. Every day my heart feels too full, feels like I couldn't possibly hold any more love, and every day I wake up and it's a little bigger, with a little more room for the love of her that will fill it. She's not perfect, but she's perfect for me, and I like to think I am for her - she says so and as I love her the way I do, I trust her utterly, and therefore must believe her. I have to figure it's the same way for her that it is for me - I'm incapable of lying to her. The reality of this is that I must walk the straight and narrow path in regards to my relationship with her - if I strayed and she asked, I'd have to tell her the truth. The flip side of this is that because of the way I feel about her, I don't want any other woman. Ever. Quite simply, she's the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on, at least in my eyes.

I believe that my love for her is unconditional. The flip side of that is, I know that the things she could do that might test that theory, she never will.

Your taste in women WILL change as you mature and grow, but some aspects will likely never waver. One thing to remember when you do fall in love, is that human beings are not static. She WILL change and grow herself as time goes by, as you will - enjoy the journey with her. Stay connected. Stay focused on each other. Talk, about everything. Ask her how her day is, and listen without trying to solve her problems, trust me she just wants an ear to vent to. Laugh about your problems together. Look for the silver lining. Reaffirm your love for her daily.

I don't know how old you are, but don't be in a hurry to lose your virginity. It's quite literally a better experience, the older you are when you do. Here's something to chew on - empirical evidence suggests that men that wait until they're in their late teens or early 20's are less likely to suffer premature ejaculation. It's also something to consider that one day, probably in your 40's or 50's, that the physical aspect will become less important to you than the intimacy and loving nature of it. It's a horrifying thought to a young man with raging pubescent hormones, but when the day comes, you'll find you actually don't care at all. You'll still enjoy sex, it's just that the physical part becomes secondary in importance.

I hope I've answered your questions.

@heartisaching

I don't know why you call it pessimistic. I try to give romance a realistical place. I don't believe it is the fairytale people speak of.
    Every relationship has its difficulties and there is not " that one special partner " that changes your life like nobody else can. The only reason why people think that is because once they have someone, they stop letting other people get close to them. I'm sure you'd never date other women now you have a good partner

I do not believe love is unconditional because people change. I change, and the things I value highest in women might change over the years. What I look for in women at this moment is probably not what I'll be looking for ten years from now.
    I turn 25 soon. I have been in love 4 times, and only one of those women is someone I respect. It happens a lot that women I'm attracted to are women that I don't like. That will have to change in the future but attraction is not a choice
    Last edited by MynameisJesus; 12-01-11 at 07:41 PM.

dude of course you have to be attracted to someone at the beginning. its just how our brain is wired. i was like you once only saw the person on the outside. then after a while when you get to know and if they are ugly on the inside that person they become ugly on the outside and you are not attracted to them anymore. i was with the girl that wasn't as beautiful as my other exs but her personality made me soooo attracted to her and now when i talk about my exs i always rate her the highest.