+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Where to meet new people?

Where to meet new people?

Hello,
    Any feedback on where to meet new people? I am 26 and I am tired of the bars, and I am a teacher so it is difficult to meet people, except other teachers. So where should I go, and what should I do? I don't want to use the online dating services. Any ideas?

Zack

You and me are in the same boat. I was thinking of trying to join a singles ministry at church, but that really isn't a dating service, but you never know what might happen from it. I've also looked at singles clubs in the metro area and when you look at the event picture they are all like 35+ year old people and it's always the same people at each event. What about 8minute dating? That's were you go and meet a bunch a women and talk with them for 8 minutes before moving onto the next one.

You could also drop hints among your teachers: they may have someone available. I tried that at work to no avail (most of their friends are old!).

through your friends!!!!!!!
    partys,clubs,pubs!!!
    just need confidence to walk up and talk to em!

Quote Originally Posted by TiM1212
    through your friends!!!!!!!
    partys,clubs,pubs!!!
    just need confidence to walk up and talk to em!
    The point is that women at bars are usually, umm, well, not high class. Not all, but...nevermind. Bars are not good places to meet people period!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTech
    The point is that women at bars are usually, umm, well, not high class. Not all, but...nevermind. Bars are not good places to meet people period!

Depends upon the bar, I think. For example, I like smaller nightclubs with live music. If someone is there you find attractive, you can always strike up a conversation about the band. Also if they're there to see the band, you already share the same tastes in music.

In answer to the original post, I'm hearing more and more success stories from online personals, including two of my best friends, great looking guys who had no trouble meeting women but didn't have the time to go out much and tried online. They've each married the ladies they met online. One lady is a Dentist, the other is a college instructor. They too did not have time for socializing and did the online thing. (Successfully)

Sure, there are horror stories but they're horror stories in th 'real world' as well.

Well, even though I'm in the younger category. I was very busy as well. I was always doing school work and the ppl I met from school were not my type or had gf's. So I tried the online thing. Yes, I know alot and have read alot about the possibilities of something going wrong. But, I guess I just wanted the chance to really connect with someone. The last 2 boyfriends I've had, I have met originally online. I've had good experiences so far.

It all depends on what you want and what your willing to spend time doing...

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

Here's one; the gym.
    Don't go to a local community gym like the YMCA or even to Gold's gym. Go to a popular gym in your area. I go to 24 Hour Fitness, and there's lots of honeys their to choose from.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

That was the way to be in the 80's. Has time even passed since then?
    The only way to guaruntee a 100% rejection rate is never to ask at all.

I'm also looking for new places to meet women. Confidence is one thing, but finding good spots to meet women is another. I do go to college and there's probably lots of opportunities, but I'm always working there or in class when the best opportunities strike, although I did have a chance to meet a girl not too long ago this semester, but things haven't gone well. Oh well there's always women everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy
    That was the way to be in the 80's. Has time even passed since then?
    back in the days, some people couldn't afford it. Now everyone is going. It's something new and popular. It's a new era with a new generation. Changed better.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

I’m 33 and know what you mean.

I have this rule, which I tend to apply to most social situations.

Any woman who would hook up with me at a bar/night club/party/get-together would hook up with nearly anyone, I’m not now nor have I ever been anything special and I’m surely not a handsome dashing chap who will draw the attention of ladies when I enter the room, I’m somewhere just below average on the looks scale.

Any woman who would drop me a phone number that I would encounter at a bar etc… would and probably has dropped similar to half the guys in the place and I was just the last guy by the door on the way out.

So as a point I avoid bars and the like, unless it’s just a group going for the purpose of going to drink and nothing more, to which I’m usually the designated thinker anyway, as I don’t drink much.

I’m not getting down on myself I’m just a realist, speaking from real experience, 33 years worth.
    Most of us know why we're alone...what we don't know is why we can't seem to do anything about it.

How to meet new people

Quote Originally Posted by Zack1978
    Hello,
    Any feedback on where to meet new people? I am 26 and I am tired of the bars, and I am a teacher so it is difficult to meet people, except other teachers. So where should I go, and what should I do? I don't want to use the online dating services. Any ideas?

Zack
    I know you are not into online dating. However, please be careful. I just read great instructions on how to proceed after you find someone you like on an Online Dating site. It really applies even outside of the online dating world.
    The URL is [url]http://www.onlinedating-sites.com/online-dating.html[/url]

How about grocery stores. Remember what happen to the guy in Ladder 49? He hooked up and married.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

Yup, grocery stories are great. Easy to strike up a conversation too. Just pick something (anything) off the shelf and say 'Excuse me. Have you ever tried this?' If the answer is yes, then say 'How did you cook it?' 9 times out of 10 it'll start a conversation going. This technique works especially well for men as it taps into the 'Mother instinct' in most women.

Another good trick (only works in urban areas) is to spend time walking a dog. Sounds loony, but it's amazing how many other dog walkers you can meet on the sidewalk.

The gym? I've heard that cliche for years, but I've never met anyone there, (nor do I know anyone who has) except perhaps to run into old friends I already know. Frankly, when I'm at the gym I don't want to meet anybody, I'm working hard and sweaty, not at my best.

All else fails? Try online. Seems that's where everyone's at these days.
    Last edited by blackiesharley; 03-12-04 at 08:03 AM.