+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web site development advice

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Web site development advice

I want to make a website for our church. Would that be hard? Is it something that one with no experience could do? It would be pretty simple. Basically I'd need to update a calendar with all the holidays on a monthly basis, events, and a list of clergy with their bios.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I would say use a program like Dreamweaver if you don't have very much knowledge of HTML/CSS or scripts. Otherwise, there are plenty of free templates on the internet available.
    You should be able to find a basic calendar script for free.

Otherwise it's pretty simple and you should be able to familiarize pretty quickly.

If you want tutorials on web development [URL="http://www.w3schools.com/"]W3Schools[/URL] is something you should check out. They also do certification.

First you would need to get web space and a domain, though.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 24-01-11 at 03:59 AM.

It's not something you can learn overnight and it depends on what you want exactly. You may be able to use Wordpress and change the style for most of the stuff I'm guessing you want, but doing something from scratch and doing it right will take a while to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I would say use a program like Dreamweaver if you don't have very much knowledge of HTML/CSS or scripts. Otherwise, there are plenty of free templates on the internet available.
    You should be able to find a basic calendar script for free.

Otherwise it's pretty simple and you should be able to familiarize pretty quickly.

If you want tutorials on web development [URL="http://www.w3schools.com/"]W3Schools[/URL] is something you should check out. They also do certification.
    That's web design, not web development.

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    That's web design, not web development.
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_development]Web development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Web development is a broad term for the work involved in developing a web site for the Internet (World Wide Web) or an intranet (a private network). This can include web design, web content development, client liaison, client-side/server-side scripting, web server and network security configuration, and e-commerce development. However, among web professionals, "web development" usually refers to the main non-design aspects of building web sites: writing markup and coding. Web development can range from developing the simplest static single page of plain text to the most complex web-based internet applications, electronic businesses, or social network services.
    I was using it as a broad term, and W3Schools has tutorials for web dev (server-side scripting, very basic security config, markup/coding)

Anyway, I agree it's not something you can learn overnight, but on a scale of difficulty from 1-10, 1 - putting a fresh coat of paint on a house and 10 landing an airplane, learning HTML and other markup/scripts is probably a 3.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 24-01-11 at 04:07 AM.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_development]Web development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

I was using it as a broad term, and W3Schools has tutorials for web dev (server-side scripting, very basic security config, markup/coding)
    Yeah, there's also people who call HTML markup programming. That doesn't make it right.

HTML isn't programming, but web design is a part of web development. This discussion ends here.

Boys, boys, boys...

This is another "ANNOYED ≠ OFFENDED YOU MORON L!OL!OL!OL!O!L!OL!O!L!OL" argument.

Doppelfag, for the record, you have no idea what you're talking about. Shut the fu​ck up, or I'm going to put you in time-out.

Is it easy??

Something you don't learn overnight, put it that way. There's more to it, than just creating a website.

A good programme (if you are a beginner), is Webpage Maker. You need NO experience. Well except for the fact to get the website online, you'd have to know how to FTP, but it comes with a built in FTP client I think.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    For sure IT'S NOT something you can learn over night...I will spend more time on this shit for sure
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by doppelmakemelol View Post
    Boys, boys, boys...

This is another "ANNOYED ≠ OFFENDED YOU MORON L!OL!OL!OL!O!L!OL!O!L!OL" argument.

Doppelfag, for the record, you have no idea what you're talking about. Shut the fu​ck up, or I'm going to put you in time-out.

I will rape you.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    they already have a site that was started years ago that only has like one main page. so i'd have to add additional pages. wish it was something simple. might have to find someone to teach me all of that first.

That should be pretty easy for you to do, since you already have something to work with. Just make several copies of the home page, rename them, replace the information on each page with biographies or whatever information you were given, and then use hyperlinks to connect them. Then just look for a PHP calendar script to add. Or you could make the old ghetto style HTML table and just manually create a simple calendar, haha. It would probably look very makeshift, but you could always go back and improve the design.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That should be pretty easy for you to do, since you already have something to work with. Just make several copies of the home page, rename them, replace the information on each page with biographies or whatever information you were given, and then use hyperlinks to connect them. Then just look for a PHP calendar script to add. Or you could make the old ghetto style HTML table and just manually create a simple calendar, haha. It would probably look very makeshift, but you could always go back and improve the design.
    let's say i know nothing about it. what info do i need to get from them in order for me to make any changes to the site?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    let's say i know nothing about it. what info do i need to get from them in order for me to make any changes to the site?
    You would need some kind of access (probably FTP username and password) to the website's root directory on the host server. Basically the process would consist of gaining access to this directory and adding/editing files. Of course, you should make a local copy (on your computer) of the directory before you make any changes, and also a backup on the server.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 24-01-11 at 12:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ok, so i'll start with that then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast