+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Legal???

Is this Legal???

Long story short...my friend [let's call her "Kaylie" is now 14 years old]. Her boyfriend of less than one year and a very good friend of mine for years [let's call him "Alex"] is 19. Kaylie has been pregnant for about 5 months. She's actually excited about it and wants to start a family. I know Kaylie's and Alex's parents. Alex's parents really don't give what he does but Kaylie says if her parents kick her out [which they might because they booted her brother a few times] she's staying with Alex. But what I'm really concerned about is Alex getting in trouble for being nearly 20 and impregnating a 14yr old. I know it sounds bad but Alex isn't a bad person. And I think if Kaylie's parents found out he's the father they would report him. Kaylie said she knows they will. Her parents suspect she's pregnant so they've been asking people who know Kaylee if she has a boyfriend since she's managed to hide Alex from her parents so well until now. So far they've just been saying "I don't know" or lying like Kaylie says to...she told me if they ask me to just say she had a one night stand with some stranger. "Obviously nobody would find this 'stranger' because he doesn't exist so nobody gets hurt" was her reason for it.

But this just sounds really shady...I really do want to protect Alex but is 14 and 19 a legal couple since they're both still technically teenagers? And if not which I suspect it isn't if I don't say anything would I be accused of protecting a criminal if I did go along with the plan and lie? I feel so bad but I'd hate myself if I ended up getting in trouble if they get caught but I'd also hate myself if Alex can't be with his baby and future wife because he's in jail. I mean I guess all of this would be avoided if I don't get asked in the first place which means just avoiding Kaylie's parents but they're neighbors and our parents talk so that's not easy and I can't keep it up forever :/...thx.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Pretty sure it isn't legal.

Yes Alex is a bad guy. HE took advantage of a KID, at 14 she is a KID. Kaylie is stupid. She's got NO plan, her parents are about to kick her out, she's got little to NO support from Alex and she's "happy" about starting a family. I forgive her stupidity becasue like I said she's a kid. Your friend Alex is in boatloads of trouble, and not just with the law. He's about to be murdered by Kaylie's old man.

It is illegal in all fifty U.S. States - but you're in Australia, aren't you? I don't know about Australian law.

She's been manipulated by him to say the things she's said. A 19 year old ONLY gets with a child that young because he thinks he can manipulate and control her. There can be no legitimate love between a young man that age, and a little girl her age.

You should call the cops. Seriously.

It sure should be illegal. Stupid stupid people....

It's illegal over here too.

And he'd face jail.

Is it legal? Not in the AU.
    If she wants to piss her life away at such a young age and IF this guy actually wants to be there for his child: that is their business...
    You don't have to keep any secret...All you have to do is (when asked) I will not get involved with people's personal private lives...GO ask them.

If you are a rat, and can't hold onto the secret it would mean your supposed "good friend" going to hard core prison.
    You didn't make the choice to impregnate a minor: your friend did.
    You shouldn't have to keep secrets when THEY should be the ones to take responsibility of their actions...not you.

He is not a teenager...just because 9-teen sounds like one.
    He's an adult now, a big boy.
    You need to talk to them both: and tell them how you feel.
    You tell them you do NOT want to be called an accessory after the fact nor be arrested for impeding a criminal investigation should
    the parents find out through some other 3rd party about your friend's age...

However only it's up to you...
    They put this burden on you and you allowed them to once you found out: because you failed to tell them you wouldn't conceal their
    illegal relationship just so you would avoid telling anyone-because you can't obviously keep a secret.

14 is a child and if she's 5 months pregnant they were probably having sex when she was 13...disgusting. kids this age are too young to consent to sex or understand the consequences of their actions- you can see this in kaylee's behavior because 1. she got pregnant at a point in her life where it will destroy her future and she has no means to support herself and the baby; and 2. she deludedly is "excited" about this and wants to start a family. this is statutory rape and i can't believe you'd stay friends with a guy who would commit this crime. he deserves to go to jail.

A 19 year old man should not be having sex with a 14 year old child. That is criminal, and very illegal.
    How can you say he's not a bad guy? He's a child molester! And why would a 14 year old be excited to start
    a family when she is a child herself? Kaylie needs to get help and counseling. Alex must be arrested so
    other kids don't get hurt.

You are concerned that Kaylie's parents will have Alex charged with statutory rape, because Kaylie is pregnant and under the age of consent (Which I believe is 16 in Australia), while Alex is a legal adult.

Yes, it is very likely Alex will get in trouble for this if Kaylie's parents decide to press charges. It doesn't matter if he is still a "teenager" - when you turn 18, you become a legal adult and responsible for your actions. Part of that responsibility is the ability to understand that a 14 year old girl is not ready to have sex. All it takes is a DNA confirmation to prove that Alex is the father. Unfortunately, all you can do is be a supportive friend. Don't get yourself involved.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 26-01-11 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    It is illegal in all fifty U.S. States - but you're in Australia, aren't you? I don't know about Australian law.

She's been manipulated by him to say the things she's said. A 19 year old ONLY gets with a child that young because he thinks he can manipulate and control her. There can be no legitimate love between a young man that age, and a little girl her age.

You should call the cops. Seriously.
    Unfortunately I disagree, the intent is the factor here.
    For one, I've been with a 14 year old when I was 17 (not 19) and her and I were seemingly in love.
    Of course I didn't get her pregnant but when I met her she look and acted much older than 14.

Technically it would also be statutory rape for having sex with her and I do see how a 14 year old could be perceived a child
    but at 14 many young women (I've known) handled relationships in stable/rational ways. The law is the law, and I do see that point but
    a 14, 15, 16 year old are hardly "children."

I do find it odd though how a dude who doesn't even go to the same school would meet up with a 14 yr old?

I had sex with a girl before we both reached the age of consent, and I regret doing that in retrospect. Gladly, there was no illegitimate children and she turned out all right, but the risks we took back then were too high for a 14 year old to make! And teenage girls DO NOT handle relationships in stable/rational ways!!!!

Anyway, this 20/14 year old pair is classic Jerry Springer material.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I had sex with a girl before we both reached the age of consent, and I regret doing that in retrospect. Gladly, there was no illegitimate children and she turned out all right, but the risks we took back then were too high for a 14 year old to make! And teenage girls DO NOT handle relationships in stable/rational ways!!!!

Anyway, this 20/14 year old pair is classic Jerry Springer material.
    Well, thankfully her and I never got to that stage...but her mother granted me the permission to date her daughter.
    I went to her house unannounced and had a face to face with her mother. While it's true most 14 yr olds aren't mature enough
    to handle things -to me experience aids in poor judgment and in action.

so illegal....

Quote Originally Posted by erikasmith1982 View Post
    so illegal....
    Definitely. He should take her to Austria; age of consent is 14.

Consent is 14 in Austria??! wow.

Well not getting involved at all and just letting them do whatever they wanna do was my original plan until her parents started actively trying to find out whats going on. I think they have a hunch.

About 2 hours ago I dodged a bullet I think :o her mom called our house and my mom came in soon after that and started asking me if I think she's in any kind of trouble. I said I was busy studying for a test and needed to concentrate. I appeared to be intensely studying. She left (no priority is higher than school to my mom...lol) and that was that. But I bet she'll ask again.

...So if them being together is illegal would it be illegal for me to just tell her I'm not sure or IDK or something? I'm only lying to my and her parents so it's not like I'd be lying to the police...?

I mean I dunno what "Kaylie" was thinking. She told like at least 12 people and not all of them are even really close friends to her. I think she just went telling people because she was all excited. Somebody's inevitably gonna tell. I just dont want it to be me. :/ Alex kept it quieter but his brothers know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast