+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help Appreciated

Help Appreciated

Hello, and thanks ahead of time for your help. My situation is as follows:

I am currently attending college and have a class with a fellow that I went to high school with. During HS, we also had a few classes together, but didn't really speak with one another. Although all during HS, while in class, or when simply wlaking down the hall, there was a bit of tension and recognition. Kind of a " I should say 'hey', but something holds me back." The few times we have spoken, including those now in college, have been very welcoming and enjoyable.
    I know a little bit of his past relationships, and they were longer than your typical HS couples, but I got the vibe that the girls he dated were just arm candy. I felt like he had a good time physically with them, but no mental or spiritual conneciton.
    I feel, and I continually recieve the vibe that he shares the sentiments, I feel like we have that chemistry, even though we've only interacted a few times. With some people you click, and are attracted at the first meeting or sighting.
    The barrier ( if you picked it up from the title) is that although I believe he, and I, truly don't mind that he shorter and slim and that I am taller and heavy--- when the possibility of a relationship beyond friendship comes up I know that there is a problem there.
    The height is really childsplay to the weight deal. I KNOW that if I were slim, we would hook up. Why is that?
    I've never been in a relationship before, which came out of my personal standards rather than lack of offers. I know too many chubby girlfriends who settle becuase they don't think they can do any better. I'm not like that, I don't need another to depend on. It has worked for a while, but lately ( oh just these past 4 years or so) I've finally recognized that , yes, i am lonely. And, yes, I want some companionship.
    I don't want to just end up another friend to a guy I like, nor do I wish to lose that connection, which even now by itself is so poignant that i'd be happy to be as we are now than risk losing it.
    I would most defintely like a relationship, and I can truly see him as my mate, just if... I'mnot a clingy or obsessive person, and especially in that our personalities match.

Well thanks for listening(reading) and I look forward to and appreciate any input you may have. Thanks!

First of all, people come in ALL shapes and sizes, and if someone doesn't qaccept you for you, or asks you to change...even though that's not what you want, they are not worth it! Now, you should be proud of who you are, and not get down on yourself about your weight. You seem like a nice person that truly knows what she's looking for in life! And I'm glad you won't be like your other girlfriends and just settle down with whatever guy comes along first.

Now, as for trying to be more than friends, weigh out the risks. If you wouldn't mind that chance that you may lose him as a friend by telling him how you feel and what you want, then go for it. But, if you have any doubts in your mind, or would never want to lose the friendship you hold with him, then be weary and think it over extensively before you make your choice. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! It's a tough choice to make, but only you can make it...
    Never regret something from your past, everything happens for a reason.

Thanks Rach. I agree that anyone who doesn't accept 'me for me' isn't for me. I suppose I was saying that I didn't feel comfortable with my weight, but I understand where you are coming from. thanks for the input!

Don't settle for anyone!!!! I feel exactly the same, I won't just go out with anyone for the sake of having a bf, I don't care how bloody long it takes for Mr. Right to come along and neither should you !