+ Follow This Topic

Thread: my boyfriend, my best friend-who will I be when he's gone?

my boyfriend, my best friend-who will I be when he's gone?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little over 10 months. We're absolute best friends-we wrestle, joke around, go shopping together, are straight up with each other, and yet we still kiss, have sex, long deep conversations, fall asleep with each other, etc. Now, I'm a year younger than my boyfriend-he's a senior, and is going through everything a senior is entitled to, including second thoughts about our relationship, senioritis, college applications, etc. Ever since I started dating him I knew that I would have to let him go when the time came. However, it's now the middle of February, and I've begun to freak out. Why?
    I'm afraid to lose him.
    He and I are so unbelievably close. We argue about little things, sometimes for hours-even have full-out fights, but when the crossroads come to whether or not we want to stay together, we always choose the latter. It's always been us, no matter how many times we break up (at the beginning of the year he broke up with me twice-because of personal reasons with his family) we're always back together. I help him, he helps me. We lean on each other, and we're always there for each other.
    But I don't know what to do. He's going off to college, and I'm so upset. I didn't make him my life, I kept a strong balance between work, school, friends, and him, but whenever he's not around, a lot of the time I really don't feel like being around anyone else. We can hang out for a full 48 hours just the two of us, and yet, I'll get home, and all of a sudden I'll turn around, and he won't be there. I'll miss him, after 2, 3, even four hours after we've just seen each other. I'm so sick of feeling as though my happiness depends on him. It makes me sad that I truly feel as though I'm not happy, or I'm at least missing a part of me, when he's not there. Wherever he is, is where I want to be.
    I don't know what to do.

I had the same type of relationship my senior year of high school as well. And when the time came it did hurt but there is so much life and so many people out there for you to meet. My ex and I are still friends now, but it didn't happen over night. My advice to you is to enjoy the time you have and maybe you'll make a long distance work. But it's incredibly tough so don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out.

Just remember you both care about each other and when you cross paths to not become bitter if things don't work out. He'll still be one of your closest friends, and if the time works out again you may get that chance to make it a committed long term relationship.

The advice I wish I was given at your age was to be excited about what comes next. After high school you're going to get the chance to find out what it's really like to be you so enjoy it and make friends instead of waiting for things to go back the way they were.

And finally don't discredit anyone you've met in high school because people change drastically. Some people you never liked in high school may become close friends, and others that you were crazy about will fade in the background. For now enjoy your relationship and when the time comes know that if it has to end you'll survive and if it's meant to be you'll make it thru even if you have to take a few breaks along the way.

Good Luck!
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

You're so right..