+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Highschool sweetheart or online fling???

Highschool sweetheart or online fling???

I am 27 years old, and I am in a relationship with a high school ‘sweetheart’, we have been together for 10 years, but do not spend any time together and are growing further a part from each other all the time. The issue is that we purchased a home together 3 years ago, and have 2 dogs, so neither of us have the money to move out and get a place on our own, or cover the mortgage payments alone. I still love him and care about him and want nothing bad to happen to him, but we don’t sleep together anymore, have nothing in common and fight constantly.

He says he is still in love with me, but I believe that it is because I am his first girlfriend and he is scared to be alone. Even my parents have told me numerous times that I don’t seem happy anymore, but I don’t know what to do. I try to talk to him about this, but he just gets angry and tells me he wished I would love him again.

About 5 months ago, I started playing an online game with this guy, we have become very close. At first we had a regular group we would play with then we started spending time in-game alone. We started to talk more and more our problems out of game and things in our lives. We are both very flirty, and he makes me feel so special and good about myself, something I haven’t felt in a long time. We have so much in common. So now we have exchanged many pictures, and talk on the phone sometimes for hours at a time. We text each other all the time when we are not online together.

I just started a new job, and as soon as I get the money I am planning on moving out, even to my parents until things are settled. But I find myself almost debating what to do. Where I am at right now, I could just continue to be with my boyfriend, but always wishing for something else. Or do I take this chance, even though me and my online fling may not get along like this in real life. A big issue is that he lives in the US and I am in Canada. I realize that it sounds horrible that I let myself become so close to this online guy while still around my rl partner, but please understand i did not mean to faqll so hard for him. Please, any advice would be great!

this is the 3rd post of the same nature
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Put your house up on the market and whatever is left over from the sale split it. Pack your stuff up, find a friend to share a place with and move out. There is no guarantee that this relationship you have started with the dude in the states, will pan out, but that is not the issue here. Your relationship with your BF has expired and all you are doing is staying out of convienence. You will not be happy unless you move on. Making changes in your life can be scarey because of uncertainty. It's ok to take risks, for life would be boring if you didn't. Best of luck to you and your new life.