+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A regular work-out session

A regular work-out session

Those who regularly do a work out, what time do you usually do? And what do you do?

I bought an exercise bike and try to do at least 3 times a week. Been keeping an exercise chart since January. Looking at it, the longest was 48 minutes and the shortest 11 minutes. Watching an interesting TV show does really help me stay longer.

I just noticed though that the time I usually do is late in the evening. It's fast approaching 12 midnight. I am about to get on my bike!

It shouldn't really matter what time of day I do a work out, should it? I go to bed around 2 am.

Just wondered what others are like.....

I try to do cardio every day and I lift weights 3-4 times a week. My diet is the number 1 factor that keep me toned and fit though.

Just as a suggestion, don't get in the habit of thinking the only way to be in shape is to long sessions of low intensity cardio (aka treadmill or bike). To burn the most calories you should do full body exercises/lift heavy weights. This makes your body break down and have to restore itself over the next 2-3 days. This entire time your RMR-Resting Metabolic Rate is higher and you are burning more calories. Cardio sessions only raise your RMR for 1 hour or so after the workout ends.

Exercise bikes don't have to be low intensity, and running for an hour certainly isn't. I believe doing circuits which work the whole body is a slightly more effective way, but you don't need to add weights. Bodyweight is enough for these at first.

Hopefully this should help: [url=http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/cardio.htm]Cardiovascular (Cardio) Exercise For Bodybuilding[/url]

As for me, I basically do it whenever I like too.

three times a week, from 9am to 10:30,
    15 minute warm up cardio and stretching at the start of each session then weights

Mon - Chest and triceps
    Wed - Back and legs
    Fri - Shoulders and Biceps

then 3 times a week finish of with 45 incline sit ups with between 5kg and 10kg weights and 60 controlled squats

mish mash mosh in a bit more cardio as and when i want. i dont have a car so end up walking everywhere, probably about 10 - 15 miles a day.

HOW EXCITING

Quote Originally Posted by openheart View Post
    Just as a suggestion, don't get in the habit of thinking the only way to be in shape is to long sessions of low intensity cardio (aka treadmill or bike). To burn the most calories you should do full body exercises/lift heavy weights. This makes your body break down and have to restore itself over the next 2-3 days. This entire time your RMR-Resting Metabolic Rate is higher and you are burning more calories. Cardio sessions only raise your RMR for 1 hour or so after the workout ends.
    Actually, it has been proven that high intensity Cardio workouts help you loose weight faster than lifting heavy weights. Every personal trainer and nutritionist I have talked to, book or magazine I have read suggest Moderate weight, high repetition sets with high intensity Cardio workouts. From what I have read and heard, best time to do your workout is earlier in the day due to the fact that at night while you sleep is when you gain the weight. Working out earlier burns what you gained during your sleep and your body will still have a higher Resting Metabolic Rate throughout the day than it would when you have not worked out earlier.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    3 Mornings per week, 6 mile run. 2 mornings per week, approx 1hr in the gym, usually use the rower and cross trainer, sometimes weights and sometimes swim. On top of that, 7 days a week in the evenings i power walk 4 miles.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Health freaks

Wow you really inspired me...I bought a tape on walking...unfortunately I haven't been doing it for like a month now. Maybe I should start again tomorrow.
    I don't exercise that late at night, either it's in the morning or afternoon.
    Cheers