+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Started out great, but now he's nervous. Reassurance?

Started out great, but now he's nervous. Reassurance?

This guy asked me out a few weeks ago. We had a nice date, it was very easy and relaxed. It was voiced on both halves that we were interested in eachother and had a very nice time. I felt like it was one of the best first dates (if not THE) I'd had. Really connect... we have a lot in common and it was so simple.

Said guy is now noticeably nervous. He voiced a want to take it slow, be friends, get to know eachother. That's all fine and good, I know he hasn't dated a whole lot (and the guys I have dated have been utter losers, not worth a sentance here.) so I am excited to have a guy in my life who is so very sweet, and I feel like I've known him forever... not just a few weeks.

I guess my problem is that I want him to feel comfortable around me. I know we are both goofy post-teen kids at heart, are both innocent and newbies in the dating world. I want to be able to say, "Dude, just be yourself. Nothing has changed... no pressure, lets just have fun and get to know eachother!" But it has become a nervous block in just talking. He was border-line avoiding me, and I'm not sure if he would have come over had I not taken charge and said, "Come sit with me." Once we were sitting and chatting it was super easy again.

Please reassure me, or give me advice... I'm knew to this and may have just needed to write it somewhere.

I think it's important to communicate your thoughts as you are going along in the relationships. I am seeing a girl who isn't afraid to ask me what I am thinking or even tease me when I display nervousness. She would tease me in the right way that I am not offended but can laugh about the situation. I like this girl because she is able to speak freely her thoughts with me as it comes up in her mind. It makes me feel very secure as I know how she feels and she doesn't have to try and figure out anything as I am also honest with her. So an open line of communication is great foundation for a happy relationship. Don't be afraid to tell him that you know he's nervous and it's ok and you think he's adorable. He's probably nervous in trying not to screw anything up. So when you are able to speak your mind and provide reassurance that you're enjoying yourself, he'll feel more relax and will be himself around you.

Openly talk about the nervousness- really the only way things will improve. A lot comes with being in a relationship. It sounds like he's around my age. I also have minimal dating experience, so the idea of a relationship is intimidating regardless of how comfortable the girl makes me feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    I think it's important to communicate your thoughts as you are going along in the relationships. I am seeing a girl who isn't afraid to ask me what I am thinking or even tease me when I display nervousness. She would tease me in the right way that I am not offended but can laugh about the situation. I like this girl because she is able to speak freely her thoughts with me as it comes up in her mind. It makes me feel very secure as I know how she feels and she doesn't have to try and figure out anything as I am also honest with her. So an open line of communication is great foundation for a happy relationship. Don't be afraid to tell him that you know he's nervous and it's ok and you think he's adorable. He's probably nervous in trying not to screw anything up. So when you are able to speak your mind and provide reassurance that you're enjoying yourself, he'll feel more relax and will be himself around you.
    Very good advice, I agree with Bonfire and personally I think you should really take into consideration what he says.

Thanks, I really like Bonfire's response. It is so nice to get a guys opinion on this... kind of understand what's going on in a guys head!

Quote Originally Posted by SlurJur View Post
    . I want to be able to say, "Dude, just be yourself. Nothing has changed... no pressure, lets just have fun and get to know eachother!"
    Then say it!

Also, you might want to set up some 'permissions', and boundries.

He might be trying to make sure he's not comming on too strong, or isn't sure if it's OK for him to keep comming to you.
    Green!