+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I never felt lonely... until now.

I never felt lonely... until now.

I have been in the same school since 1st grade and I never really talked much to anyone...
    I guess I just didn't have anything I could talk to them about.

Well now I'm in 9th grade and there's quite a large amount of girls from the 8th grade asking me why I'm always alone, or just saying "Hi" and then giggling... most of them I just dismiss them as trying to make fun of me.

But just a few days ago a girl also from 8th grade came to me and asked me why I never talk to anyone and proceeded with some small talk. She actually seemed sincere with no giggling just a very cute - almost concerned smile. I assumed she liked me (which I feel is kind of presumptuous or me) She also came to me with a friend the next day who also seemed to wonder but without that heart melting attentive look.

The thing is...
    Her talking to me actually made me feel lonely whereas before I was just a bit bored on my own as there was nothing to do in recess. She hasn't talked to me today (I don't expect her to since I'm a bit numb from not talking the whole morning thus not very fun talk to) and I really feel lonely now! I used to come home and read but now I just can't seem to stop thinking of how I might have appeared cold since I didn't even smile when I saw her... from fear that it would be somehow inappropriate as we haven't talked THAT much.
    It's the weekend now and it seems as if this is gonna haunt me for at least till I next see her and talk to her which won't be for two painfull days now... at least

I hope that made any sense because I would really like to hear someones thoughts on this. I already feel much better after writing this. Any comments will be welcome but what I'm really looking for is one a bit longer so I can't think about it a bit.

Thank you!

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    You feel lonely because you finally found someone you actually want to talk to and be around. And the feeling might feel extreme to you as you normally don't feel like that.
    If she likes you as you think she does, she'll only like it if you do talk to her. At least say hi.

Have you ever thought that you may suffer from social anxiety? Talk to your parents about seeking some professioanl help. It's not good at all to not have any friends or participate in any social activities. If you don't deal with it now, you will suffer greatly in adulthood. You will have difficulty finding a job, getting a career and finding a wife and having a family. Having social skills is the up most importance in order to live life and to survive in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Have you ever thought that you may suffer from social anxiety? Talk to your parents about seeking some professioanl help. It's not good at all to not have any friends or participate in any social activities. If you don't deal with it now, you will suffer greatly in adulthood. You will have difficulty finding a job, getting a career and finding a wife and having a family. Having social skills is the up most importance in order to live life and to survive in the real world.
    Your signature is very accurate of your post...

But I swear it's just that I never knew what to talk about... I know it's a bit hard to belive but trust me!
    I don't have any problems talking when I know what to talk about.

Try coming up with topics of conversation in advance, something you and the other person can relate to. Also, don't worry about smiling at new people - it's a good thing (unless you're grinning like a loon : P).

Also, don't worry about smiling at new people - it's a good thing (unless you're grinning like a loon : P).
    I know it's stupid... but it always seems reasonable at the time.