+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating dilemma

Dating dilemma

Hi all --

I've been "online dating" for a couple of months now. I had a really amazing flirtation going on with a man in PA (I'm in NYC). While in PA a couple of weeks ago for other pruposes I met him.

We had an amazing, crazy date. Sparks were flying every which way. Our minds connected in such playful ways. I hadn't laughed so much in ages. In the middle of dinner he kissed me and afterward walked around holding my hand and kissing me more... at the end of the night he asked me if I was coming back again. I said I could... he sent me a message the next day saying how he like my laughter &b kisses... and I gave him my personal e-mail. He wrote me a short note a few days later on my personal email including all his contact info. Annyway, an exchange or two later I shared some info that was maybe too much, too personal, too heavy... about some abuse I suffered as a child. He'd invited me to tell my story & I knew he'd been through a lot of hardhsip, too. But anyway I haven't heard from him since i sent that message & it's been a week. A week can feel like an eternity wheh you really like someone, you know? I had a good cry or two or three over it -- telling myself it was just one date after all & maybe it didn't mean as much to him as it did to me -- and decided to try to let it go.

Meanwhile I met a really sweet guy who's in my profession, attractive, and much closer to where I live. We met for dinner, talked for 3 hours without realizing the time. No big sparks for me but a nice easy feeling I could get used to. He had to go to a conference the next day and has been texting me every other day or so.

I was getting to feel like I could get into this guy when -- guess what? PA man visits my profile again on the site where we met, and my heart goes thumpety-thump-thump THUMP! I'm thnking, "What's up with that? Has he been thinking about me? Or did he click on my profile because I'd posted a new photo that's better than my old one -- maybe he clicked on it w/o realizing it was me?"

I don't feel like I should contact PA man. If he wants to write to me he will, right? But if he wanted to keep dating me I'd respond in a heartbeat. I would.

And I don't feel like I can give New Guy a real chance if I'm waiting for someone else to rock my world. I guess if I just take things slow... & see what happens over the next week...

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

I think you should forget the PA guy and give the new guy a chance. The fact The PA guy saw your profile is a proof that he spent time online, so if he would have had some intentions, he would have write something to you till now. If your story scared him so much, he doesn't deserve you. Just my opinion...

Certainly don't marry the new guy or anything if you still harbor feelings for that one-date guy. But sure, go on a date or 2 or 3 with him and see what happens. Since you barely knew the old guy, getting to know the new guy will soon make him far more real to you than that other dude. It may help to keep you from idealing ia guy you hardly met. If the old guy shows back up, you can take some time before choosing and getting exclusive with one or the other. Not a problem, I think.

PA guy was likely just being nosy and checking out your new pic. He didn't send a message and if he had anything to say, he'd say it. I would just leave it at that and go out with the new guy again.

Also and in future, I wouldn't be so quick to reveal deep, personal info and too soon.