+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dealing with Parents!

Dealing with Parents!

Hello everyone,

I am 28 and my girlfriend is 25, we have been together for a year now. Well we love each other so much but her parents dont want to approve me that we should be together. We are the same religion but its a little different on how the types are (its complicated). We go to the same church and eat the same kinds of foods. In the old days they used to marry only that kind but now the world is different and everyone marrys who they want now. Well my girlfriend doesnt want to fight for me cause she is scared of her parents, I have attempted to talk to her dad but it didnt work. Well now i told her that we should talk anymore unless you talk to your dad about us if not they will be no us. She still calls me all day and still texts me now but I have been ignoring her and it is killing her bad. What should I do ignore her until she tells her parents? or Move on? I think this will make her realize what she is losing. What do you all think?

Help me please, Im really heartbroken and i need advice.
    Thank you all so much.

Holy (literally) crap.

Time to move on.

Big red flag!!!! If she cannot stand up for you now she my not ever stand up for you...Imagine if you got married and at the wedding-- either having her parents there not happy which puts drama into that situation or they don't show up at all and that would be so hard to get past. Then, imagine if you had kids - them constantly trying to take charge or influening her regardless of your/her feelings. My husband doesn't stand up to his mom for our relationship and he is 36...it has caused major stress on us and I don't even talk to his family because of it. Luckily, we live in another state but it would be horrible if we lived near them...I would go off.

The biggest advice I can give -- count this as a true blessing that you noticed this issue before it was too late. She needs to find someone they approve of or eventually get a back bone. You should find someone who loves you enough to either stand up for you or let you go when they know they can't. By her calling you she is just asking you to be part of the problem she isn't willing to deal with...and, really, it's not your problem it is hers.

You are young enough to find someone who really deserves you. The fact that you even questioned it shows you are smart enough to know this isn't right. Use those instincts to move forward with your life. Good luck!
    Last edited by want2behappy; 25-03-11 at 11:06 AM.

Only been a year, means time to move on. If she is like this now, how will she be later on. What would you tell someone in your position!!! now move on

I have a family that totally disapproved my current boyfriend and tried to break us apart. I stuck with him through thick and thin because I love him. I will be the first to admit I was very scared of what would come of my family relationships but I knew what I had to do, I am not in a relationship with him to hurt them, I am in it for me. They currently still have their issues and are not ready to actually meet him but are respectful of my decision. At the end of the day they know that I love him and if they made it too difficult they would only be pushing me away, that is what love is. Find someone else
    Last edited by Superfantastich; 26-03-11 at 01:00 PM.