+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I don't know how to deal with my girlfriends past...help

I don't know how to deal with my girlfriends past...help

Well, this my first time posting anything like this...
    Three years ago I got divorced. I was married for 16 years and have two teenaged sons.
    After a year of feeling sorry for myself and getting back on my feet, I started dating.
    I met this very nice lady 10 years younger than me. We have been dating for about two years now.
    My issue is her past; she used to be a real party girl. She said she has slept with over 75 guys, she did drugs, and drank alot. I appreiciate her honesty and understand that is her past. However, it is very hard for me to let go of it. She doesn't like to talk about it very often. She states she was waiting for a guy like me. I want to believe her, however I just got out of a relationship where I was cheated on, so I'm a little short on trust...
    I do love her and really enjoy the person she is now. Truth be known, I'm the only one who brought baggage into this relationship (sons).
    If anyone has any advice and or tools to help me loose these thoughs of her past...I would be grateful. Thanks

Anyone else tired of seeing this type of threads? If you can't handle knowing their past, then move on. It's simple as that.

I was unaware it was such a common subject, however that must mean it is an issue with people.
    I wish it was that easy...I'm trying to let go, that's why I asking for advise and to hear from people who have gotten over this.
    Bonfire; If this subject bothers you so much, I suggest you don't read them and move to another subject.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Past is past, present is present.
    Having slept with a lot of guys does not mean she will cheat on you.
    Realize that, or indeed... move on.

Don't blame a new love for things an old love did to you.

Just because you have been cheated on in the past, it does not mean that this girl will cheat on you as well. It sounds like she is really trying to be honest and upfront with you about her past and that's really all you can ask of her. As a young college student, I've seen almost all my friends go through these wild stages. Some of them party for just a month or two and others have been partying for years. However, eventually we all have to grow up. I've gone through a party stage myself, but I really think it's something that you outgrow. It sounds like she's through her party stage and ready to be in a real relationship. If you really love her then you shouldn't let something like this come between you.

CollegeGirl is right. You can't blame new loves an old love did to you. But you do have a valid concern about her past especially since you have children involved. But I wouldn't go into relationship thinking that she is going to fall back in that routine. People do change! I would suggest taking things slow and see how everything works out. Only time can tell.

Thank you for the comments, it does help to hear. I really feel like she has changed and is a very good person. My children love her too. I also understand we all have a past. Sometimes your subconscious plays tricks on you.
    Thank you all

I had a similar concern in my last relationship. Mine had a drug addiction and alcohol addiction. She overcame those habits, but I did't recognize the real problem that she had an addictive personality. She ended up picking up a gambling addiction which ultimately was a deal breaker for me. I couldn't spend the rest of my life with someone who I couldn't trust with money.

The point is, acknowledge her past but more importantly figure out if the cause of that negative behavior is still a part of her or her personality.

It's understandable to have those feelings about someone you love, no bloke likes to think of the girl they are with being with other guys. I've made it a point to never ask questions to which you don't want to know the answers!
    If she's good at giving head never casually ask 'damn how come you're so good at that!'

Ignore her past, it had nothing to do with you, and don't punish her for it either! Get past it and move on, or let her go.