+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My Long Distance Boyfriend Asked about Open Relationship

My Long Distance Boyfriend Asked about Open Relationship

I love my boyfriend. I've known him for two years, and most of that time we were apart. He lives in another country where I met him. We dated for three months there then broke up when I left. A year and a half later we got back together due to the fact we didn't want to be with anyone else. He is now coming to visit me in 3 months. (yay) We have mentioned open relationships before, but I looked to excited about it and he was like "NEVER MIND!!"
    Last night, I told him I was going to try and find a job in his country. For some strange reason he started talking about a open relationship. We definitely want to be together, but sometimes we feel touch starved. We wish we could hug or kiss or feel a caress... ANYTHING. Well he was sort of joking about me being a lesbian at first, but then I pushed the fact that I could get guys if I wanted to, although I wouldn't go all the way with them. He seemed ok with it. After I was incredibly vivid about what would happen and he seemed ok I got very upset. He started saying that if it was between 1) keep me and have a open relationship or 2) lose me from me wanting others and me cheating, he would choice 1. I went on with a story on why I would NEVER EVER cheat. And he was all, yes yes I know. You have told me before. Then I was like why would you let people touch me when you had the choice not to! The whole reason we confirmed our relationship again is because we didn't want anyone else to be with the other!
    He then went on to say he thought we were just joking and he wasn't actually taking it seriously. But I don't really know what to believe. I had loved that fact that he didn't want anyone else to touch me like that... he even seemed a tad bit jealous of the stuffed animal he gave me because it was here and he isn't. Then he starts talking all of a sudden like he doesn't really care. I mean, he even confirmed that I would get more action then him if I wanted to... I just don't really know what to think, or what to say to him. I know he wishes he hadn't even brought it up.

It's dead, don't bring it up anymore. Your words can only hurt the situation now.

"Silence is the true friend, that never betrays."

-Confucius

We are both 22 right now.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Details about sexual relations with other people past, present or future should *always* be left unsaid. Yes, always.

yes, details should be left unsaid. And, open relationships tend to result in some not-very-good consequences. I couldn't tell you what he was thinking by bringing it up, but he could have been joking like he said. The fact that you two are long-distance right now adds additional pressure. He may just be trying not to be too jealous so as to keep you happy. And he may have been saying what he did in an odd way of telling you how much he cares about you.

But for now, leave it be and just concentrate on the relationship you have together.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!