+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Always the friend

Always the friend

I'm wanting to meet someone for a relationship however I'm not desperate or wanting to meet "the one" or anything. However lately I seem to just be surrounded my men who aren't single...but yet tell me I'm "adorable" "amazing" "sexy" "gorgeous" "the perfect girlfriend" etc. But yet none of these men would consider ending their relationships for me so I'm obviously not that attractive (as a prospective girlfriend).

I have two men who have said this recently, one is my ex, we had a casual relationship for six months...he was single and didn't want more...despite him still ringing me most days and asking me regularly if i'm seeing someone, he doesn't want a relationship with me.

The other is someone I have a real connection with but we've never been single at the same time, he's now engaged so nothing will happen but yet he spent the last hour telling me I'm so much fun and I'm so gorgeous and nice and amazing and that he loves me.

Help!!
    Last edited by friendszone; 03-04-11 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added an extra line to avoid confusion

Quote Originally Posted by friendszone View Post
    But yet none of these men would consider ending their relationships for me so I'm obviously not that attractive.
    There is more to a relationship than physical, these men are in it because they love their girlfriends. If a guy just ends it because another girl is more attractive, then he is not worth a dime.

No I didn't mean that, I don't think I explained myself properly. I would never expect them to end their relationships, I just meant having a man tell me he loves me and how amazing I am etc is infuriating when they have a girlfriend. If I was as amazing and gorgeous and lovely etc as they kept saying then surely that means they have feelings for me of some sort. I don't think i'm explaining myself properly at all . Its always lovely to receive compliments its just hard when its from men who have the safety net of being in relationships etc.

Just my two cents... start socializing with men who are single. Vast majority of guys wouldn't consider dumping their girlfriend even for a more attractive one. And I'm certain that you would develop trust issues with the sort of guy that would anyway.
    Last edited by Yet another guy; 03-04-11 at 05:54 AM.

I have so many friends, both single and taken but thats kinds of my point, its only the men who are taken that say these things to me or even seem to like me in that way. The guy I was seeing casually, kept on telling me I would make someone the perfect girlfriend but he didn't want me as his girlfriend but yet rings me almost every day to talk etc and ask if I have met anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by friendszone View Post
    If I was as amazing and gorgeous and lovely etc as they kept saying then surely that means they have feelings for me of some sort.
    Not necessarily, some men are just sweet talkers, they will compliment girls left and right, esp female friends. If a man really have feelings for you, he'll show with action not simply with words.

He seems to like of you as a good friend. Would make sense considering that he thinks of you as such great person. Liking someone is certainly needed to develop feelings but it doesn't entail them.

If I understand you correctly, I'm actually in a sort of similar situation. Only girl that has ever complimented me is just a friend. Yes, it sucks not to get compliments from others but I don't find her compliments infuriating at all.