+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Eye Contact With the Opposite Sex

Eye Contact With the Opposite Sex

So I'm curious if this is one of those gender differences.

When I'm out with a group of girlfriends, it's inevitable that one of them gets approached/hit on/looked at (not a passing glance, but like trying to make eye contact/stare at/etc.) The girls usually act like they hate this and complain endlessly about it ("God that creep will NOT stop looking at me!") though honestly I suspect some of them are pleased at the attention.

Anyway, I wonder if guys are the same. Like, if an ugly girl is staring you or approaches you, are you grossed out or complain to your friends after?

The reason I ask if because I'm TERRIFIED of being the "creepy ugly" girl. If I'm at the gym/bar/book store, even if I find the guy attractive, I'll barely glance at him. I won't make eye contact for any reason, and if I walk past him, I look straight ahead or pretend to be busy with my book, or my phone, or looking for something in my bag. The reason is because I don't want to offend the guy or creep him out like unattractive guys do to my female friends.

My guy friends are always saying they wish girls would approach them... but isn't what they really mean is they wish HOT girls would approach them? I know sometimes girls can be pretty cruel to a guy who does get up the nerve to approach or look at them; are guys the same? Like if a girl is unattractive, will guys act like she's creepy/diseased if she smiles at them?
    Last edited by vertical_sky; 25-04-11 at 06:49 AM.

sadie_genie Guest
    Yes, they would be uncomfortable. But they would probably be less verbal about it. My guyfriends tells me sometimes (indirectly) he feels uncomfortable when an unattractive girl shows interest in him but they wouldn't insult her. But there are jerks out there who will insult through jokes.

Well, that has never happened to me but I doubt I would mind. I definitely wouldn't start whining about it. In fact, I would probably be quite taken by it.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_sky View Post
    So I'm curious if this is one of those gender differences.

When I'm out with a group of girlfriends, it's inevitable that one of them gets approached/hit on/looked at (not a passing glance, but like trying to make eye contact/stare at/etc.) The girls usually act like they hate this and complain endlessly about it ("God that creep will NOT stop looking at me!") though honestly I suspect some of them are pleased at the attention.

Anyway, I wonder if guys are the same. Like, if an ugly girl is staring you or approaches you, are you grossed out or complain to your friends after?

The reason I ask if because I'm TERRIFIED of being the "creepy ugly" girl. If I'm at the gym/bar/book store, even if I find the guy attractive, I'll barely glance at him. I won't make eye contact for any reason, and if I walk past him, I look straight ahead or pretend to be busy with my book, or my phone, or looking for something in my bag. The reason is because I don't want to offend the guy or creep him out like unattractive guys do to my female friends.

My guy friends are always saying they wish girls would approach them... but isn't what they really mean is they wish HOT girls would approach them? I know sometimes girls can be pretty cruel to a guy who does get up the nerve to approach or look at them; are guys the same? Like if a girl is unattractive, will guys act like she's creepy/diseased if she smiles at them?
    Yeah we will. When you're hanging out with a group of guys and they notice a very unattractive girl glancing your way there's a good chance of getting made fun of. Many guys will throw some really negative vibes her way hoping she will stop.

Honestly though vertical, I've see some of the pictures you posted and I don't think you have to worry about a guy being insulted by your attention. I wouldn't be offended at all if I caught you glancing at me.

Hmmph, really? There's a difference between staring and casual, NATURAL eye contact. Good gawd, be natural.

There is staring and there is repeatedly seeking eye-contact and looking away after you lock on for a second or two, maybe with a little smile. It could get uncomfortable if the guy is not up for it, but if after a few attempts he doesn't lock on, you know he's not into you. (I must say I'm very bad at reading signals, so I could be very wrong).

Personally, even when less attractive girls I am not interested in at all look at me, I don't feel freaked out. It's kind of ego boosting. I would never make fun of a girl who does that, but I'm a nice guy. I'm sure there are lots of a$$h*les who are not so nice, especially in groups.