+ Follow This Topic

Thread: BF just lost a friend

BF just lost a friend

I don't know what to do. I'm the worst person in the world when it comes to dealing with emotions. I've never been able to comfort anyone, I just don't know how to. My BF of 2 months just called me to tell me that he was out riding his motorcycle with the group of friends he rides with everyday and one of the guys in their group was cut off by a car, he wrecked and died right in front of my BF. I feel so sick about it. I feel awful for the poor guys wife and kids and then for my BF who not only lost a friend but was there to see it all...not to mention it could have easily been him. We live an hour apart and don't normally see each other during the week. I can't get up there till Thursday and I don't know what to do till then...do I do anything or just give him space? I don't want him to think that I'm not here for him, I want to be I just don't know what to do. When I talked to him he said he was pretty much calling to tell me what happened because he was probably going to be getting very drunk and wouldn't be able to call me later and didn't want me to get worried about not hearing from him all day.

We had already had plans for me to come up to see him Thursday night and I was going to stay for the weekend and I asked him if he still wanted me to go and he said of course, and mentioned for me to bring something nice to wear in case the funeral happens when I'm up there but if it is on Thursday or Friday during the day he said he would just go with his friends since I have to work. I absolutely would take the day off to be there for him but I never actually met his friend that died.

So my questions I guess are, what do I do tonight and tomorrow? Do I leave him alone and give him space or will that seem like I'm not being supportive? I don't want to be bothering him but I am worried about him. If there is a funeral on Thursday or Friday do I take off work or do I just let him go with his friends and give him space?

I feel so sick about this...

Be there for him now.

Give him space if he asks for it.

Take off work, whether you go to the funeral or not. If he asks you to come, go, but if not, be there for him when he gets back from it.

You need to figure out how he deals with this, and adjust. This question is hard for anyone here to give you the "right" advice. Figure out what he needs, and the best way to do that is simply ask him upfront.