+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Cant do anything right?

Cant do anything right?

Hi all,
    Sorry if my spelling is off at all in this post I'm pretty stressed out.

So my gf and I have had a rough patch coz we've not been able to meet up alot. I thought we sorted stuff out but today things kicked off again.

I was getting picked up in 15mins and could sense something was up so I asked, and eventually got the stuff out of her about her being upset because she feels like I dont want to see her (even after I've put in alot of effort over the past few months to see her more). She was also stressed out about other things like exams and stuff and the fact that we havnt been able to book a holiday coz my folks dont like the idea (were both 18).
    I tried to calm her down but I had to go, I stayed for a further 40mins to try and calm her down (while my mum waited outside to pick me up). I subsiquently got stressed out as part of our problem is that I have had a conflict between how much she wants to see me, and how much work I have to do, and how much work my parents want me to do and this was another conflict in which I turn out as the bad guy. I didnt want to abandon her, but equally I had to go because it had been 40mins of waiting for my mum. She eventually saw how stressed I got and told me to go saying that she would be ok, so I said I wasnt putting my work first (A levels) I just had to go coz my mum had been waiting for nearly 45mins.
    And now I'm pretty sure she's pissed off at me, despite the fact that I tried to text my mum to say that I would be a bit longer coz I wanted to make sure she was ok, but she stopped me and told me not too.
    I told her I didnt want to go, and that it wasnt because I didnt want to sort stuff out, its just that I had to go.

But now I feel like s**t and I dont know what to do. I tried really hard to calm her down and cheer her up.

So if anyone could give me advice on how to handle this situation, I'd be really greatfull, thanks. sorry about the rant.

Ignore her until she contacts you.

There isn't much you can do other than what you are already trying. Just try to make plans with her where you two can sit down and discuss the expectations of each other in the relationship. Don't try to squeeze it in, make time for it. That will show her that you want to make things work and the conversation will hopefully help her understand your side of things.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Dude I totally feel for you. I've been in similar situations before and I know the twisted feelings that it can give.

You sound pretty responsible and you know your priorities. Don't feel bad about that. Why should you?

My take. It seems that your gf doesn't really understand your situation. Relate your issues to her in a way that she can understand what you're going through. Cheer her up and take things with a lighter mood. If she continues to be a pain, I'm afraid you're gonna have to stand your ground. I mean come on. You need your own space/time.

If you keep responding to her whenever she is upset, she's gonna do that pretty often as it gets your attention. Approach this issue in such a way that tells her that it's only appropriate to get upset when there's something worth getting upset about, not using it to get your attention. Don't be a pushover.