+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lose weight and get fit!!

The two big things are eating at a calorie defect and maintaining your blood sugar levels throughout the day. Eating small meals throughout the day that are high in fiber and contain protein and fat will help you feel full and satisfied. For example, half a whole grain english muffin with 2 tablespoons of non-fat cream cheese and 3 ounces of smoked salmon makes a great breakfast. A snack could be an apple and handful of almonds. Lunch could be a mixed green salad with garbonzo beans, beets, cucumber, and light salad dressing. I make a lot of soups as well with light broths, like Vietnamese Pho and black bean soup, and dinners are usually a small portion of meat with vegetables and beans. Cutting out processed foods cuts the most calories, if you do that you can eat quite a bit during the day and you'll find it's easy to lose weight. An hour of exercise focused on resistance training will help you burn more calories, lose more weight, and look more defined. A gym buddy can help show you the best way to lift weights and provide moral support. There are also DVDs like p90 and p90x that focus on weight lifting and even include eating plans and ways to figure out how many calories you use/need in a day.

Hopefully this is helpful, and good luck on your weight loss journey!

All the advise in this thread sucks. Follow my two simple rules for losing weight:

1) Get off your ass
    2) Don't eat like a f%#@ing pig.

I was overweight once, now I run marathons, so **** all this calorie counting BS and just get your shit together. Cut out refined carbohydrates and eat more saturated fats.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Cerby, no need to put down overweight people. Genetics & hormones have a lot more influence on body fat than what's commonly believed. (Also, economic barriers, lack of access etc.). I used to be convinced it was just a matter of eating less (I got down to ~100 lbs by doing so), but every body is different and really if it was as simple as getting off one's ass & not eating like a f****ing pig, there'd be a lot fewer overweight people.
    I recently finished Fat Chance by Dr. Robert Lustig. It's full of the science that explains why "a calorie is not a calorie" (look it up). Basically a calorie burned is a calorie burned but a calorie eaten has a different effect on your body depending on what kind of calorie.
    It's definitely true that in terms of losing weight, the most important thing is your diet. (exercise is important too for your health - just don't fool yourself into thinking your gym time justifies eating junk food)
    basically the most important things:
    1) avoid sugar. It is poison (no exaggeration here). It's not a nutrient, just a toxin. Diets that successfully help people lose weight are all low in sugar - atkins (though I personally dislike this diet), traditional japanese, etc. Do not drink any sugar (including "healthy" juices - eat the fruit not the juice b/c the juice has all the sugar but none of the fiber of the fruit)
    2) eat fiber. Not supplements, but fiber in your food (veggies, fruits, beans, etc)
    3) exercise. I don't love exercise either. I find that it helps to have an exercise buddy to motivate each other. Set realistic goals & achieve them. Schedule exercise into your planner. On days where you really really don't want to exercise, walking somewhere (so that you're doing something productive)
    4) eat real food. Cook yourself food instead of going out to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean View Post
    ... if it was as simple as getting off one's ass & not eating like a f****ing pig, there'd be a lot fewer overweight people.
    Wrong, people are as lazy as they are fat. Obesity is an epidemic, it wasn't a problem 100 years ago, and certainly not 10 000 years ago. It is a problem now because shitty food is cheap, high in calories/energy/carbs, and plentiful. Most overweight people would rather spend a night at home on the couch with a couple of costco sized bags of doritos instead of getting out and doing something.

Only a small percentage of people can attribute obesity to medical conditions.

Last edited by Cerby; 14-06-13 at 02:53 PM.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

That is one of the most common problems nowadays,Its better to avoid junk food and fast food as much as we can,Taking the light and clean food and also bothering physical activities can help us a lot in staying healthy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123