+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little wild bunnies .

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Little wild bunnies .

Does anybody know here how to treat little wild bunnies? My brother brought two from work cause his boss flooded hole and they needed to take them out of there . Well it's done, and now we have 2 little bunnies at home. But they are still pretty young. I mean they are as big as my hand ,but my hands are small they must be between 10-15 cm long. I collected some sow-thistle for them and prepared milk . One of them did eat a bit of sow-thistle and de other one drank few drops of milk from my finger, but they don't seem very keen to eat or drink anything . Anyway, if they won't eat properly next few days, we will bring them to the vet ,but if it works out they will stay at home. They are so sweet btw Anyway, does anybody know how to deal with such little bunnies ?

Here's a pic of one

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/p1070830a.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]
    Last edited by Petit Papillon; 02-07-11 at 03:39 AM.
    I wazzzz here

I work in a very urban area, and our parking lot has a big fence around it. Years ago, I noticed that there were a few rabbits that would come out of hiding in the evening or on weekends to nibble on the grass surrounding the parking lot. Sometimes I would see them on the other side of the fence on adjacent properties. Two years ago, we got really heavy snow early in the winter, and I knew that it would be on the ground until spring, along with additional snow later in the winter. So I started putting out store-bought rabbit food pellets, just like somebody would use to feed pet rabbits. The parking lot rabbits always ate the rabbit food, usually cleaning out the food dish overnight and then flipping it over. In the spring, there was a baby rabbit. Last winter was bad, too, so I fed them semi-regularly again, and recently saw the young rabbit again near the parking lot, right after work. So wild rabbits are willing and able to eat pet rabbit food.

The problem with your young rabbits is they might not have been weened yet. Maybe you could feed them milk from a baby bottle for a while.

Okay, I just googled "feeding baby rabbits" and got some good hits, especially this very detailed one:

[url=http://www.mybunny.org/info/newborn.htm]How To Care For Newborn Baby Rabbits[/url]

and this one:

[url=http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html]RABBIT HEALTH: Care and Feeding of Orphaned Domestic Rabbits[/url]

There seem to be a lot of YouTube videos on the topic, too.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks . Well it seems that it will be the best if we give them away to a vet who will know how to handle them correctly and he will know for sure where to place the rabbits. I don't want them to die and since they are wild , it's not good for them to stay at home anyway ... Well we will wait till monday and then we'll bring them somewhere to the vet . Thanks vincenzo , btw those are some good articles.
    I wazzzz here

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good luck, last time I tried saving a young rabbit it died within a day

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Tomorrow I go to the vet, they should survive a night IMO , they are pretty alive ,cause they try to jump out of the box Now they sleep ... I keep them in the dark and silence ,tomorrow in the morning i'll try to feed them and around noon ,we'll go to the vet . Should be fine But they are adorable!!!! Now I want to have one bunny
    I wazzzz here

Cute, but the best thing to do is release them into the wild. Otherwise they will never adapt.

Rabbits are tough to keep alive, but these guys are old enough that you've got a shot. Make sure you are keeping them somewhere dark--they are super vulnerable to stress and they appreciate a warm, quiet environment.

You know, I would be tempted to do as doppelgaenger says. Their eyes are open and they look fairly mobile (a good indicator of independence with smaller mammals). I would take them to your nearest park, put them somewhere safe-looking, and let them be.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've read that park is not safe enough , at best is to release them in the morning, in the forest ,somewhere far from the street so they have one day to adapt. I think I will do the same . They woke up me today at 6am cause they started to be extremely active, i got them some fresh greens and milk and let them run out of the box, but now I don't know where is the second bunny, i mean, he must be somewhere in my room but I dunno where So release to wild or ask the vet first?
    I wazzzz here

Option C - Dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Option C - Dinner
    Now why didn't I think of that...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe because one little bunny like this is not enough even for half of a dish? Btw, I found both of them , I just fell asleep and woke up again and found them back and I see that they ate something
    I wazzzz here

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lol pp, they are wild right? You need to find somewhere that perferably already has rabbits- as they are young they will be able to integrate. They were born wild so should stay wild.
    I have no idea how to care for them, the only one i come into contact with are the ones my dogs kill and bring back to me (5 this morning ) I then freeze them and feed them whole to the dogs at a later date.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh my God qwert, how cruel I released them tomorrow in a safe place ,cause they were extremely hungry and didn't want to eat what I was giving them , nor drink ,so first in the morning I went to set them free . I think they are old enough to survive outside . They started to jump really high, were chewing on my shoes and running faster than I I released them in the morning so they had whole day to get used to a new place. They should be fine, or at least it's what I'm telling to myself
    I wazzzz here

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, I'm with those who think they go nice with spring asparagus and a light white. They are pests. Cute pests (so are mice) but still pests.

EDIT - kangaroos are the same. Cute like anything. But breed like hell, which is why they are regularly culled and eaten in Oz as well. Mish and CB will know.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 04-07-11 at 06:17 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    I released them tomorrow in a safe place
    [url=http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=5004eb00-b27e-4293-96c9-c869f7ad3ae5]UVic needs to add Pest Control 101 course[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast