+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Computer Scan!! What should i do next?

Computer Scan!! What should i do next?

Hello all, i just wanted to come here for some advice, maybe if anyone could help or point me in the right direction?

I have just had a strange call from a supposed windows microsoft computer support system. First off, it struck me as strange as i know microsoft windows dont call anyone to give support..
    So i listened to what he had to say, he knew my name, he told me my computer had been sending them error messages. So he offered me support and to 'fix my computer forever'. lol
    I told him i wouldnt do anything over the phone, and asked him for someone local to call and help me out. He said there wasnt anyone local who could do it.
    I knew from then on, it was definitely some sort of scam. He got snarky with me when i asked for his name and then put me onto his 'supervisor'. He then got mad when i asked what the company name was and then freaked out on the phone saying he 'never said he was from microsoft windows'.
    I hung up the phone and then googled it, it seems a lot of people have had the exact same calls.

What should i do next? It worries me as he knew my name and address and such..
    You have all the weapons you need... Now fight!

It's not difficult at all to get your name, address and phone number online. Good for you for not giving any further information away. You're probably just fine.

Just for kicks, try plugging your name and province into this:

[url=http://www.canada411.ca]Free People Search, Reverse Phone Lookup, Business Telephone Directory | Canada411.ca[/url]

Hi Jaden,

Working for a company that provides customer support for computers and electronics I know ALL about this scam. Its usually set up from a call center in India, they use simple address lookups to locate your name and number. These people DO NOT know if you even have a computer, they work on the assumption you do.

They'll ask you to download a remote client from some website like logmein, at that point they'll access your PC telling you they're "fixing" your virus, but in actuality they're doing a dump of your cache files in order to locate banking and financial information.

You were right to avoid this, its all bad news.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

It'd be tempting to pretend to be completely computer illiterate while on the phone with them.

- 'First, press start'
    - 'Ok...Uh...I can't find the start button'
    - 'Its at the bottom left'.
    - 'It says Ctrl, not Start'
    - 'No, on your desktop'
    - 'But I only have a mug of coffee there, do you want me to finish it?'
    --Hangs up--

You can do a simple google search of someone's name, and the likelihood is you could probably find their address and home phone number.

So much personal infomation out there it's almost scary.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Oh thanks guys, yeah i just got the call and it made me weary about if my computer did have viruses or something! I'm a bit of a pc newb but im relatively careful about what i download and such.
    They were so rude on the phone too i knew it wasnt legit right away.
    Its just scary to think if they actually called someone who was completely computer illiterate and got access to their computer.. Yikes!

Scamming b******!
    You have all the weapons you need... Now fight!

Call the Attorney Generals Office, and file a report. Not sure if they have Attorney Generals in Canada.. but call whomever would serve that role.

Yes it's a scam. Do not confirm your addres, telephone number, or any other info he may have. Do not allow them to install anything on your computer. Do not give them any other info. Microsoft Support never calls someone out of the blue. If a cold call sounds suspicious, tell them you are now recording the call, and for them to state their full name and company name clearly. See how long it takes for them to hang up.

If that doesn't get them to hang up, try to sell them a set of printed encyclopedias...from 1960.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    If that doesn't get them to hang up, try to sell them a set of printed encyclopedias...from 1960.
    Burglar!!!

Just found this video...this guy got the exact same scam...in my book he handled it GREAT

Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

Saw him for the first time today as well, though I fancy his more animated ones more

You sure it wasn't smartguy trying to flog a few chapattis?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]