+ Follow This Topic

Thread: is he being nice? or did he mean something more?

is he being nice? or did he mean something more?

about five years ago i had an encounter with this guy. we both knew thats all it was, and were fine with it. i went on and got a bf and he a gf.Him and i have kept in contact all these years through email and text. nothing sexual. just friendly chat and "how are yous" about a year ago he split with her, and about a month ago my bf and i split. the other day i was venting to him about how awful my ex was being to me even after we split. saying really hurtful and mean things. one of many of these was how he said that nobody would ever love me just end up using me. which duh i know isnt true. i was rattling off alot of examples. but after that one all he texted me back was "i still love u." and i said "yeah he tries to make me feel bad anyway he can. and he meant like romantic love. like relationship and being with someone. not how friends love each other" i didnt know what he had meant we had never been all sayin luv ya or anything like that ever before. the only thing he had ever said was a few years back that if i wasnt with my current bf he would take me in a heart beat. but that was also when i was telling him about a fight that had happened. So anyways after the text i sent him he replied with " i know what he meant. i still love u." and i kinda freaked out and didnt know what to say so i just said thanks. i do like him. but am i reading to much into this? is he just saying these things to make me feel better cause i was having a hard time? Or do you think he may have meant it and was testing the waters??

Quote Originally Posted by gingerindiana View Post
    Or do you think he may have meant it
    Yes, he may have. Guys usually mean what they say. And they rarely throw those words around to make someone feel better.
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

Yes, he may have. Guys usually mean what they say. And they rarely throw those words around to make someone feel better.
    Funny, what about the guys that don't mean what they say? The one's that will say anything to get what they want?

OP: You had an "encounter" a sexual hook up and then you chatted once and a while on the computer. Your ex bf says no one will ever love you but just use you and then this fling guy comes back with "I know what he means, I still love you?" Did I get that right?

If I did then no he doesn't love you or even think anything more than "I could fck her again if the opportunity arose." Even If I didn't get it right, you had a fling and you chat once in a while. Loving actions (of which there are none) indicate if someone loves you.. not a few words exchanged with nothing to back them up.

I think the answer you gave him of "thank you" was probably the best way to handle words that have no action backing them up.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 07-08-11 at 01:44 PM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Funny, what about the guys that don't mean what they say? The one's that will say anything to get what they want?
    They're so called bad guys.
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

Well do you want a relationship with this guy? Otherwise why read so much into it?

If you want a relationship with him then I'd suggest taking things one step at a time. Take things slow, really get to know eachother and then see where things go.

He may have meant that he does in fact truely love you but he also may have just throwing some luring words out there to see where they would get him.

If you want to know what he meant and want to take things to a different level then all you can really do is ask him about it. good luck!

i guess it depends on how close you are with this guy. either way, i also think the question is why you're wondering about it so much- are you/have you been interested in this guy? since you're just reeling from what sounds like a really painful breakup, i think you should not reply to him with anything more emotional or bring it up again until you're able to see the situation in a more objective way. otherwise, it's more likely you'll make misstep or say something you regret or something