+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how does it take you to get over an ex?

how does it take you to get over an ex?

This is something that i have been wanting to know for the longest, it seems to me that alot of guys not all tend to move on to the next woman without even making things right. I dont know if these are players are just commitment phobic men that cant settle down with one woman. But i find it very odd and crazy that someone can move on from one woman like she never existed and go to the next. Guys how long does it take you to get over an ex? and would you still be invovled with an ex if you had a new woman in your life? please help me out with this one....thanks

I'd say up to 1/4 of the entire relationship or 3 months, whichever comes first. I was over my last one in a few weeks.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

My guy moved on after a week (after 11 months together) but he has huge issues and can't be alone. Some people just transfer their emotions onto someone else and need to soothe their bruised ego.

6 weeks on I am nearly over him but I think in about another 3 or 4 I will be completely over him and looking to date again.

Just remember even if he moved on quick it is not necessarily a reflection on how he felt about you. Unless he checked out of the relationship a long time before breaking it off I tend to think a guy that moves on quickly is hurting bad and just needs that validation from someone else. Rebounds never work out.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

I think it all depends on the circumstances. If you are the one breaking up it usually takes less time becuase you've been considering it for a while and you've already come to terms with it by the time you say it out loud. If you're the one being broke up with, I think it takes a little longer due to the rejection factor and the ego bash (as well as the usual getting used to not having the other around anymore. Of course those that can't be alone (as Pisces mentions) for very long will jump right out of the frying pan and into the fire never processing their past baggage or learning a lesson from any of it.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

1st girlfriend (at 16) - 5 years!
    2nd girlfriend - 13 months
    3rd girlfriend - 2 months
    4th girlfriend - 2 years

No, I wouldn't be involved with an ex if I had a new woman. I wouldn't want my gf to feel bad about being my gf.

With the right quantity of alcohol, I'm over anyone in one hour.

Now seriously, Wakeup's right. Haven't got much to add to what she said. There can't be a universal break-up recovery time because each person takes it differently and has a different attitude. For people who accept the relationship's over and concentrate on the future, it's gonna take less, but for those who still live in the past and keep thinking of ways to get their partner back and so on, it could actually last longer than the relationship.