+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Kick

Health Kick

Are there any things that you specifically do, eat, drink when going on a health kick, or detox etc?

I don't mean whole regimen, but more specific activities or foods that you might consume.

I don't enjoy the flavour much, but I put my blender to good use and make veg smoothies.

Fruit smoothies are even better, but not every day.

I also drink lots of Green Tea, and also start eating lots more spinach and brocolli ... not necessarily for the flavour, but because they are supposedly two of the healthiest and nutrient dense veg.

I feel as though I need to start this again ... I take being slim for granted and use it as an excuse to eat junk. I think this is also contributing to my sleeplessness.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i love food too much to be on a diet...
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    or to eat healthy
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I'm sure you're not that unhealthy.

Eating junk is deff bad for your sleep. And the fact that you don't get enough sleep can make your body crave fat and make you eat junk. It's a vicious circle.

What I'll eat/drink: lemonade sweetened with honey or if it's cold tea with lemon juice and honey, green salad with lemon juice instead of oil (I sometimes actually eat lemons), grilled mushrooms, grilled chicken breast/fish(with lemon juice lol)/veal, tomato + cucumber + pepper + feta cheese salad, sometimes with radish too, boiled potatoes with a pinch of salt, chicken soup. No fried stuff, no oil in anything, no fizzy drinks, fruit instead of sweets. Loadsa green sour apples. Milk, generally before going to bed.

That's what comes to my mind right now but there's more.
    "The right time is any time that one is still so lucky as to have."

I should mention that while I'm typing this the only things I have in my fridge are a KFC bucket and a big bottle of Pepsi Twist.

KFC Bucket in the FRIDGE?

The thought of KFC is bad enough, but cold KFC is ... bleurgh.

Pepsi is OK, although recently l've been drinking too much of that kinda thing.

The only carbonated drink l'm gonna have between now and my holiday is sparkling water :-l

I used to be a health nut. Still am to a degree but not obsessive anymore.

Warm/hot water with lemon is good in the morning to jump start your metabolism. For detoxing drink lots of water, mineral would be best, but only for short periods of time. Green tea is good, add nettle tea if you like your nutrients, but it is strong tasting. As for foods eliminate refined grains and sugar. Add in whole grains; quinoa, spelt, brown rice, all are good to help clear out your system. Fresh raw fruit and veg are good; particularly berries (all and a little trick you might not know, you get more nutrients from strawberries when you add alcohol not kidding!), melon, bananas, avocado and pears.

If you aren't liking the taste of your veggie smoothies try adding apple. If you're really serious get a juicer and you can make some amazing juices. I have loads of recipes if you want.

Adding in homemade soups and miso are good and detoxing, just try not to add any additives like salt. Don't eliminate olive oil and add in fish, particularly salmon.

Have you tried yoga? Low impact workouts would be best if you are undertaking a heavy detox but I would suggest not being on an intense detox longer than 5 - 7 days.

Good luck
    Last edited by Jenswaiting; 20-08-11 at 08:14 AM. Reason: adding word
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu

My girlfriend swears by hot water and lemon. Personally never seen the attraction, like.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

I hate sparkling water. And where was I supposed to keep the bloody chicken, the washing machine? I only got the it because by the time I got back home today I couldn't be bothered with anything else and I knew my fridge was empty. I'd much rather have any of the things listed above. I'll go buy stuff tomorrow.

I also have olives when I'm not stuffing my face with fried chicken. Supposed to be good for your digestion. I like putting rucola in stuff. Carrots. Seafood. Hmm.

I have a juicer but it is a headache to clean. The blender is good, although vegetable juice is definitely a better option.

Fruit smoothies are great. Banana, passionfruit, strawberry and blueberry is a favourite. Anything that happens to be at home works, even tinned fruit.

Lemon and hot water is good, but l go one step further by adding honey and turmeric. It's an acquired taste, but l like it. It makes for a good detoxer and liver cleanser. I used to drink it three times a day last year because of my liver problems (no, not alcohol related).

I probably should cut out all refined sugars, wheat and gluten, but that's a level of detox that is hard to keep up. Psylium husks are a good supplement to help clear and detox the digestive system.

Although l don't do yoga l can still do the splits. That's thanks to 7 years of martial arts. A friend keeps asking me to come along to bikram yoga sessions, but they start at 7am so o've yet to take them up on the offer.
    Last edited by maxmax; 20-08-11 at 08:44 AM. Reason: stupid phone auto-correct changing my words ...

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Lemon and hot water is good, but l go one step further by adding honey and turmeric.
    I used to do the same though I didn't think to add honey. Silly me. Apple cider vinegar and honey is supposed to be very good for you too. I dilute it with water.

Psylium husks are a good supplement to help clear and detox the digestive system.
    Flax seeds are good as well. Can add them to salads, smoothies and juices.

A friend keeps asking me to come along to bikram yoga sessions, but they start at 7am so o've yet to take them up on the offer.
    I am NOT a morning person - but if this offer came my way and it was nearby, I would turn into a morning person. Bikram is good strenuous sweaty yoga!

That's it my brain is tapped out for now....I'm sure more will pop in tomorrow.
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu

When I'm training for the 4 months prior to a big marathon, I follow 2 simple rules to get back in shape.

1) Don't stuff your face - This is a simple rule really, enjoy your food, but eat it in moderation. Eat until you're content but not full, I usually take as much as I plan to eat on one plate, and then I use willpower to prevent a second serving. This works for me. Drink water in replacement for everything, and add a proper vitamin intake as well.

2) Get off your ass - Simple as it sounds, a little bit of exercise every day will do this for you (when marathon training its different, I aim for 10-12 hours a week), but for average joe, 30 minutes a day and just enough to get sweating is all you need.

Its really as simple as it sounds. I can lose 1-2 lbs a week doing this and I'm already in shape, someone who wants to lose a lot of weight can probably lose 3-4 lbs a week this way.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Thanks, but the above is mostly about getting into shape and losing weight.

I am in shape, and my body fat is at 14% so l don't think losing weight is necessary ;o)

The question was more about 'being' healthy from a holistic point of view, including specific elements of diet etc.

Eat several small meals a day rather than cramming it all in 2 (or 3) meals.
    Plenty of raw veggies.
    Exercise.
    No soda (or at least drink diet soda or better yet, water).
    Watch alcohol consumption.
    Replace your delicious snacks with cucumbers, celery, cheese, or peanuts.
    No fast food/pizza.
    Eat more fat, and less carbs. (If you cut down on your carbs, your body will burn more fat for energy).

I love avocados. I never had them before I started my current no carb diet. Low carbs, lots of fiber, full of healthy fats. They are delicious, extremely healthy, and just one will fill you up, big time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast