+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetics verses environment

Genetics verses environment

schools are now teaching evolution. it is generally accepted that our genetics determine us (as per the medical industry). however i was wondering how then could it be acceptable to teach evolution? evolution says we evolve and adapt to our environment. sometimes having to adapt very quickly therefore changing our genetics to survive. this would indicate that our genetics have nothing to do with determining our health. it would indicate that genetics are a consequence of our environment. yes i'm sure genetics get passed from generation to generation but i surmise that it all depends on our environment based on the evolution hypothesis. Now medical science does not agree with this. medical science says that our health is determined by our genetics. how can this be justified? it seems ass-ways to me. one or other has to be wrong. of course one is making a profit and the other is not. have i got this wrong?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    have i got this wrong?
    Yes​​​​​​​​​​​​​.

justify your answer
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

it would indicate that genetics are a consequence of our environment. yes i'm sure genetics get passed from generation to generation but i surmise that it all depends on our environment based on the evolution hypothesis.

Watch 09:00 to 40:00.

I'm not into science enough to tell whether it's actually accurate or not, but would be inclined to agree with its sentiment.

schools are now teaching evolution. it is generally accepted that our genetics determine us (as per the medical industry). however i was wondering how then could it be acceptable to teach evolution? evolution says we evolve and adapt to our environment. sometimes having to adapt very quickly therefore changing our genetics to survive. This would indicate that our genetics have nothing to do with determining our health. it would indicate that genetics are a consequence of our environment. yes i'm sure genetics get passed from generation to generation but i surmise that it all depends on our environment based on the evolution hypothesis. Now medical science does not agree with this. medical science says that our health is determined by our genetics. how can this be justified? it seems ass-ways to me. one or other has to be wrong. of course one is making a profit and the other is not. have i got this wrong?
    I'm not sure about your logic on this. I want to point out that evolution is not a hypothesis, it has been scientifically proven. Evolution doesn't happen quickly, though there are exceptions. Evolution makes gradual changes due to environment and other factors. Genetic mutations actually drive evolution, so far as I understand it.

Try this: [url=http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/modern-synthesis.html]The Modern Synthesis of Genetics and Evolution[/url]
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu

By the way, I don't think that these two points are necessarily opposing eachother (aka Mutually Exclusive).

. yes i'm sure genetics get passed from generation to generation but i surmise that it all depends on our environment based on the evolution hypothesis.
    Now medical science does not agree with this. medical science says that our health is determined by our genetics.
    Hence,

Environment > Genetics > Health.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Genetics play a role in your health, but genes aren't necessarily expressed if they aren't triggered. For example, you must have a gene that can express cancer in order to get sick, but not smoking will help reduce the likelihood that the cancer gene will express itself.

Other conditions are entirely genetic, such as sickle cell anemia, and some are primarily environmental, such as morbid obesity and type II diabetes.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Evolution is mutation.

We are all mutants.

Some more than others :-/
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenswaiting View Post
    I want to point out that evolution is not a hypothesis, it has been scientifically proven.

Try this: [url=http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/modern-synthesis.html]The Modern Synthesis of Genetics and Evolution[/url]
    lots of science considered fact has been found to be fraudulent, so don't count your chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Genetics play a role in your health, but genes aren't necessarily expressed if they aren't triggered. For example, you must have a gene that can express cancer in order to get sick, but not smoking will help reduce the likelihood that the cancer gene will express itself.

Other conditions are entirely genetic, such as sickle cell anemia, and some are primarily environmental, such as morbid obesity and type II diabetes.
    actually i have read up on cancer and have discovered that everyone has cancer. i guess it depends which doctor you see and whether they diagnose or mis diagnose-considering some doctors decide based on carcinoma in situ (which does not need treatment in fact)

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    By the way, I don't think that these two points are necessarily opposing eachother (aka Mutually Exclusive).

Hence,

Environment > Genetics > Health.
    this is interesting and kinda what i consider to be true. and if it is true it also means that how we perceive our environment also plays a part.this also means that all this mumbo jumbo from the medical industry about genetics is just another way for people to just sit back and accept the inevitable all because someone in a white coat (psycologically people believe white coats thru conditioning) decides so. it's also another reason to let go and not take responsibility for their lives like for example people who suffer depression (like me a while back). we can determine our genetics by just perceiving our environment a certain way.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    . we can determine our genetics by just perceiving our environment a certain way.
    Tell that to my patients with sickle cell anemia. I hate watching them suffer... it's horrific.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Tell that to my patients with sickle cell anemia. I hate watching them suffer... it's horrific.
    the traditional chinese medicine believe that all illness is psycologically related. they also have a what seems to be a more acurate model of DNA dating back thousands of years...

the traditional chinese medicine believe that all illness is psycologically related.
    Are you sure? I've never read or heard anything that indicates this, but then again, I'm not an expert.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

^^^yes it's true

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast