+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The inevitable 'break-up syndrome'

The inevitable 'break-up syndrome'

> Be 16 (male)

> In a relationship with first girlfriend for two years and a bit (different schools)

> She's an only-child, where her parents are a bit more controlling and really have cultured her over the years (piano every Friday, and two other forms of dancing on Tuesday & Wednesday). Naturally, this interfered with the course of our relationship, as for one reason or another - her parents seemed to be quite prejudice towards me (I think it's to do with their protective aura over her, no male is going to ever be good enough for our little girl, etc) on the basis of our little trivial chats here-and-there over dinner and occasionally the rarity of being given a lift home.

> Seemingly a few of her 'retro cool-kid' clique seem to dislike me, since one of them just happens to be a sort of pseudo-best friend of my ex, whom thinks she has forever been replaced by me, which she honestly hasn't, as she gets to see my ex more than me, because they attend the same school... college now. Other than that, I've never caused any other offense... whatsoever.

> Decision of college looms around the corner; she turns down the one I chose (and attending) for silly reasons, other than being afraid of the unknown. Yet, the one I'm attending is statistically the better choice and has a good social aspect to it, too.

> Ultimately, feel as though she's indirectly chosen her friends over me because she doesn't seem to have a real reason to stay at her sixth form. And she turned down an opportunity for us to see each-other on a regular-basis.

> Broke-up with her on Tuesday evening over her decision of College, since I saw it as though we were prolonging the inevitable of our relationship collapsing. Mainly because, I didn't want to have the added stress of worrying about her as well as concentrating hard on my A-levels, and experiencing the social aspects of College. Meaning, I didn't want to be limited if any female encounters arise, yet none of them seem to matter anymore when it comes to the ex.

> Now, that I've experienced the first day of college... I seemed to have really enjoyed it and of had a very optimistic outlook from the experience.

> What can I say, I miss my girlfriend entirely. Yet, I wish we could have have a non-complicated relationship without all the interferences, then it'd be great. But unfortunately, they seem to spring-up from pretty much everywhere. Or well, they don't seem to fade... mainly due to her lifestyle.

> All in all, I'm tired and slightly delirious - which is probably making me think more about short-term than long-term... What should I do? Wait another week and see how I feel.. or just accept the fact I've ended the relationship and move on with my life in search of something new and exciting?

tl;dr - broke-up with gf on tuesday; complicated relationship with lifestyle interferences; threw away opportunity of us being together on a daily-basis, while indirectly choosing friends over me (or fear of the unknown, I don't know); tired and partially delirious, want her back, yet should I wait it out a week or so and see how I feel then?

I understand I'm very young and naive, but please don't be prejudice towards this situation in the manner of taking it less seriously than other older relationships. I just don't know what to do. Follow my emotions or check them into perspective by grinding them to halt and carrying on with life?

Wait another week and see how I feel.. or just accept the fact I've ended the relationship and move on with my life in search of something new and exciting?
    You made your decision, so look forward, not backward. The fact is, your path started to veer off course from hers. That hasn't changed. You are somewhere new and exciting. Trust me, if she had decided to follow you to school, you would feel like you were missing out on all the things college has to offer.

Enjoy your time at college. Like many people say, it is the best time of your life. Don't waste it wondering about "what ifs."

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Quote Originally Posted by devonbrown View Post
    You made your decision, so look forward, not backward. The fact is, your path started to veer off course from hers. That hasn't changed. You are somewhere new and exciting. Trust me, if she had decided to follow you to school, you would feel like you were missing out on all the things college has to offer.

Enjoy your time at college. Like many people say, it is the best time of your life. Don't waste it wondering about "what ifs."

Good luck.
    Thank you very much, for putting my decision into perspective

I applaud you for being able to see things so clearly at such a young age, and with this being your first g/f.

You made the right decision, and while you may still think about her from time to time, you will be glad when you meet someone who is more in line with what you want and where you're going.