+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how do I tell if he really likes me?

how do I tell if he really likes me?

I am a college student, going to college later and I am 30. My professor, who is sweet and kind to everyone seems to be maybe a little kinder to me and showing interest but I am confused. He is in his 50's by the way and I adore him. I started to think he may like me when he sat very close and sprawled out. I blushed when we talked and then he blushed. This was on a cloth covered bench.
    Then, he invited our class to a party at his home and asked each person if they thought they could make it. He asked me if there was any chance I could come and that he'd be really happy if I could make it. I said I would try and he reiterated it would make him happy.
    So I went and when I got there, there were some other people showing up and he walked us all in. Forgot to mention, after he had asked me to go, he also said that he was nervous because his house had to be cleaned and did I ever feel that way.
    Anyhow, when I went in, there were a few other people there and yet he asked me if I would do him a favor.. I said sure and he told me he wanted me to be the hostess and he showed me where guests could put food they brought. Then he told me to follow him to where I could put my stuff and it was his bedroom. He said "we have a double bed, is this good?" I said yes, put my stuff down and he walked out. I went out too and he had gone to direct cars outside.
    I left early because I was nervous and my stomach hurt.
    I later sent him an email saying sorry to bail and he responded that he was glad I made it and he was pleased to see me there and he hoped I felt better. He said he would have more parties and I was always invited.
    I thought I would let him know I care about him by responding with telling him that I skipped a class just to go to his party. Of course, then I felt stupid saying it as he is a professor and probably hates when people do that. So later on I emailed him and said that sometimes I say stupid things and that I was going to drop the class anyway.

This morning I was determined to tell him I like him but I chickened out because he is teaching one of my classes. In his office he first asked me if I was ok, and then he said not to feel stupid about skipping class because I make good decisions. Again, he was blushing because the literature for the day's class was really really bawdy and I asked him not to make me present it to the class (I was supposed to present today)... so he blushed and said no, but let's talk about it in class (he was probably flustered)...
    He also asked 3 times before I left if there was anything else...I wanted to tell him but couldn't do it. He also said that he would support me no matter what grad school I wanted to apply to.
    But, though he did these things, in another class we take together ( he's learning it too) he doesn't sit anywhere near me or say anything to me...but he does wait for me at the end..
    Today though, he saw me sitting on that bench again and didn't sit with me...not right away..he reluctantly, it seemed, sat next to me after a few minutes. Then when we were leaving class, he again held the door for me but talked a few seconds and then said, "have a good weekend" and quickly took off.
    So, is he being really friendly or am I so obliviously that he's pretty much hitting me over the head with his feelings. I am going to confess I like him on Monday, I hope I don't chicken. Should I do it?

Hmm its hard to tell if he's just being friendly and you're seeing what you want to see because you like him, or if he likes you but doesn't want to overstep his boundaries as a teacher and lose his job.
    I wouldnt come out and say anything bold. I would test the waters by going to sit by him in the class youre learning together and afterward ask him if he wants to hang out outside school somewhere sort of casual.

I agree with BloodTipped Rose. It is hard to distinguish between friendliness and something more.

At the end of it, this is a man's career, and so maybe hold off on any grand gestures. But the next time he does come and sit next to you, try and test the waters then. You could speed things along by asking for help in his class and then meet in aneutral setting and see where it goes/how it feels/ or if you are misconstruing a professional relationship with a romantic one.

I agree with all of the other posters. It's his career on the line here, so even if he does fancy you, he must hold back. That would explain his hesitancy. It seems when you are in public (ie the class you're taking together), he's more neutral, but when you're in his office alone, he's more friendly. I would hold off on approaching him until you finish his class. Besides, isn't it more fun to prolong this little tango you guys are having?