+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I don't know how to reject this guy?

I don't know how to reject this guy?

I have this guy who I met during volunteer. I'm pretty sure he liked me because he asked me out before. However, I didn't feel the same so I rejected him. Now we are in the same group together and he is showing interest again. I've talked to him a few times and what sucks is that he thinks I'm flirting back. He text me and I don't know what to do but reply. He's a really nice guy and he helped me alot. I don't know how to make him know I don't like him back. Sometimes, he would come over during work to talk to me and I just want to be left alone. I just went through a heartbreak (not a relationship) by a guy who rejected me. I don't want to date him now. And, he is not my type anyways. How do I reject him politely or do it without saying it directly? Thanks!!

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Riko2011 View Post
    I have this guy who I met during volunteer. I'm pretty sure he liked me because he asked me out before. However, I didn't feel the same so I rejected him. Now we are in the same group together and he is showing interest again. I've talked to him a few times and what sucks is that he thinks I'm flirting back. He text me and I don't know what to do but reply. He's a really nice guy and he helped me alot. I don't know how to make him know I don't like him back. Sometimes, he would come over during work to talk to me and I just want to be left alone. I just went through a heartbreak (not a relationship) by a guy who rejected me. I don't want to date him now. And, he is not my type anyways. How do I reject him politely or do it without saying it directly? Thanks!!
    Why wouldn't you say it directly? It actually helps him in the end. Once he knows you're not interested, he can move on easily.

Oh my gosh I hate when guys take my friendliness as in invitation to flirt. We're just nice people dammit!

If guys want to be nice and friendly thats cool, Im going to be nice to them too because I enjoy making friends with others. I will make it very clear in conversation that Im seeing someone if that is the case.
    If the guy starts hitting on me or asks me out and I dont want that kind of attention I tell him straight up that Im not interested in a date or relationship and would prefer being work friends or whatever.

I used to beat around the bush and say things like "right now isnt a good time.." denoting to them that later might be a better time. Even though we think we're letting them down easy, we're actually leading them on, which is much more mean then just telling them no in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Why wouldn't you say it directly?
    Because he hasn't said anything directly? Pre-rejecting someone is kind of douchey in most circumstances. But I guess it's better than having that guy hang on for a while, making you uncomfortable with awkward flirting.

OP, how about, "I hate to be presumptuous, but I kind of got the impression that you might be interested in me? Sorry, but I don't see anything ever happening between us. I just thought I should be honest, since I respect you and the work we have to do together." Be prepared for, "Well, I wasn't hitting on you anyway! Hmph!"

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodtippedrose View Post
    I used to beat around the bush and say things like "right now isnt a good time.." denoting to them that later might be a better time. Even though we think we're letting them down easy, we're actually leading them on, which is much more mean then just telling them no in the first place
    Very true, never give a person any hint of hope if you're not planning to give him a chance. There's no need to sugarcoat things, but there is a fine line between being direct and being rude. Maybe you should try to compose yourself and make sure you're in a good mood so that nothing bad comes out of your mouth. And as a protection to yourself, maybe you should ask him if he's really interested in you before you blow him off, otherwise it might make you look bad.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtippedrose View Post
    Oh my gosh I hate when guys take my friendliness as in invitation to flirt. We're just nice people dammit!

If guys want to be nice and friendly thats cool, Im going to be nice to them too because I enjoy making friends with others. I will make it very clear in conversation that Im seeing someone if that is the case.
    If the guy starts hitting on me or asks me out and I dont want that kind of attention I tell him straight up that Im not interested in a date or relationship and would prefer being work friends or whatever.

I know exactly what you mean. "I'm not interested" isn't the same as "I wanna be a total arrogant b*tch and act like you don't exist". Some guys just can't tell the difference between flirting and being friendly.
    OP, I had a case similiar to this one a few weeks ago. First I tried giving him the "now is not a good time"-speech. I told him I was still recovering from a bad relationship (well, that was true). I realized my mistake when he said he can wait for me to get back on my feet. So next time I told him I wasn't really interested in anything other than being friends with him. He told me it was ok, called me one day and wanted to hang out "just as friends". When we were hanging out he would start acting inappropriate, making physical contact etc so I got kinda pissed and left.
    My point is, these guys can be hard-headed. Make sure to be polite but keep your distance. It's important that he actually realises you're not just playing hard to get or anything.

If you would prefer to be left alone, just say that, but in a nice way, like: "Thanks for stopping by but I'm sort of busy and would like to be alone." Say that enough times, over enough days, and he will stop coming over to talk.

Or if that doesn't work, just say "I just had a bad breakup and don't want any relationship right now."
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)