+ Follow This Topic

Thread: is there potential?

is there potential?

This may be a long story, but please bear with me because I feel that I can't get a detailed or helpful enough response without filling you in...

So, I met this guy about 4 years ago through my ex and mutual friends while my ex and I were together... We've always got along really well, were flawless in holding conversation, and ended up turning to each other for advice. Mainly it was him discussing his relationships with me. Anyhow, we became pretty good friends and began to hang out every night after he got out of work, which was at 3 AM (seems inappropriate but that was his work schedule and I'm a huge insomniac). A little over a year passed and my ex and I split. When my exes mom threw me out I turned to this guy for advice and such and he was receptive. Some time passed, maybe a month, where we hadn't had much contact and I ended up going to a party of his. We were both beyond intoxicated and I ended up sleeping in his room that night and one thing lead to another. He said that he was having a hard time laying next to a beautiful girl and containing himself. And thats all we needed to get the deed going lol. Turns out I may have saved his life that night by helping him sweat out the alcohol.

Irregardless, we didn't continue talking regularly or anything. I wasn't looking for anything serious fresh out of the relationshit I had just gotten out of (yes I meant relationshit, thats not a typo lol) and he ended up having a benefriendship on and off for a year.

Recently, about March of this year, we ended up hooking up again. Neither of us have been in a relationship in a while and we're pretty casual about everything. We can still hold a conversation like nobody's business, but now I feel like I'm starting to like him and I don't know if the ships already sailed, if there's potential, or if he even sees anything more in me.

This is what I'm confused by:
    He'll talk about girls he's been with or that lead him on or that he's "talking to" (that girls in another state and seems disinterested btw) Not sure if he brings them up after I talk about my ex or not (girls are notorious about bringing up their last relationship no matter how long ago it was)
    He comments on how good everything is and then makes a comment of what he'd do to have it everyday, but in an offensive kind of way, not romantic at all lol
    He downs my ex, but is a friend of his
    Things feel a little awkward from time to time now, but I'm not sure if it's just on my part, like out of nervousness because I feel a little differently towards him..
    He talks about the "friend zone" frequently, about how he hates when he ends up falling into that category
    He drives pretty far to see me, almost 45 minutes
    And after last night's encounter on the drive home he brought up how he isn't one to say when a girl's got him interested, but he said it in a different way, wish i could remember exactly how, but thats the jist of it
    And he didn't talk to me too much today, but I guess I kind of ended the conversation abruptly, maybe out of guilt seeing as I don't really believe in realtionships with exes' friends, friends' exes etc.

So I guess my questions are:
    Could he be interested? Thought so in the past, not so sure anymore..
    Would he go through the trouble of coming to get me for just a piece of a**?
    Why would he bring up the things he does? Is it purposeful? To give me hints perhaps so I initiate things out of fear of rejection? Or could I be reading into this too much?

Sincerely, clueless :/

Could he be interested? Thought so in the past, not so sure anymore..
    Possibly. Ask him.

Would he go through the trouble of coming to get me for just a piece of a**?
    Yep.

Why would he bring up the things he does? Is it purposeful? To give me hints perhaps so I initiate things out of fear of rejection? Or could I be reading into this too much?
    He might not realize that him bringing up these other girls offends you. Guys' brains are not wired to see subtle social clues either, so they might do things that seem rude to you, but doesn't bother them.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Oh no, I didn't get offended by him bringing up other girls. I was just wondering if it was to make me feel jealous in a way or if he said things about girls because I bring up my ex from time to time. Thank you though i was thinking asking him would be the best, but I don't want it to get weird if he doesn't feel that way. Oh well I'll see how it plays out, Thanks