+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ex already dating someone new.

Ex already dating someone new.

I need some advice.

My ex & I broke up about a month ago after being together for 8 months. In the times before this, there was a little bit of tension between us and we weren't really talking that much about what was wrong in our relationship. I had a conversation with him about how I felt as though I thought he was taking me for granted and ignoring me, and he was leading the conversation into a breakup. He was saying things that we are at different points in our lives (I'm in 3rd year university and he's in his 5th year), and that our relationship hasn't been perfect these past couple of months. I told him that I wanted to work on our relationship and give us a chance. I broke down crying and I believe that he started to feel bad about his feelings towards me, and he told me that he "couldn't picture his life without me in it." We decided that when we saw each other at work during the day, we would be normal and affectionate, but after work, this was considered personal time so that we could spend some time apart.

A couple of days pass, and we are at the same social gathering. I ask him to take a picture with me, but he gives me some sarcastic remark about how I don't even have a camera so why should I be asking to take a photo .. rude. Anyways, he apologized for the sarcastic comment, and we went out to the bars that evening. Everything was great between us, and he told me that he thought that our short times apart are making us better. Long story short, we were leaving the bar to go back to his place. We ended up getting into a fight on our way back. He kept saying how he didn't want to deal with this right now and that he just wanted to go to sleep. I told him to f'ing go then, and then he walked away and said "alright this is a breakup." I called him later that evening and he was really dry and told me that he didn't want to work things out between us.

He called me the next evening and confirmed our drunken breakup. The following day, I stupidly sent him a facebook message telling him that I still want to work on things and that I still love him and that hes my best friend. He told me that he read it but I never really got a response. A couple of days later I called his phone in the morning telling him that I couldn't stop thinking about him and that I wanted to talk, but he told me that his feelings for me haven't changed. A few days pass again, and I run into him. He tells me that he does not think that our relationship has any hope right now, and that he's happier that we aren't together since he is not making me upset constantly. I told him that if he feels like we shouldn't be together and that he's happier without me, then thats alright.

A week passes and I stop by his room to pick up my things. I told him that we both need to move on, and that we can't be friends, at least for now, and I wished him a good semester, and he agreed.

Everytime I go downtown to the bars, I see him there. I don't ever acknowledge his presence. He tries to talk to our mutual friends (who are closer to me), and they all tell him that hes a dbag and to stay away from them and that he needs to apologize to me for what he was doing to me.

He recently started going on dates with someone else 2 weeks ago, and now they are officially dating each other. A week before they were officially dating, they were making out right in front of me at a bar. I feel like if my ex had any respect for me, then he wouldn't have to do things like that right in front of me. This whole scenario really shocks me because this new person that hes dating is in 2nd year (even younger than me, different points in their life?). This new person is very similar to me, studying similar subjects, and also works with us in the same department.

I recently asked him to hangout, and he agreed. But I found out that same evening he made it official with this new person. I am just struggling because I know that he does care about me. When we broke up, he told one of our mutual friends to check up on me to make sure that I was okay. However, we did catch up at one point in order to discuss the possibility of being friends. When we spoke, everything was normal, and we both agreed that everything was cool between us. However, when I saw him at work in the following days and I greeted him, he ignored me, and started telling our friends that I should know better and that exes can't be friends right away.

I cancelled our hangout when I found out he made it official with this new person. I saw him last night and he waved to me, surprisingly, and I said hi. I am just struggling because I know that he is just lusting after this new person, and I know that he really did love me, but we just hit a rough patch and we blew things out of proportion. Unfortunately, this made me even more needy for him, and I think that may have pushed him away.

I hope that his new relationship does not work out with this new person, because I know in the long run, they are way too different, and they are even more at different points in their lives.

I'm just confused as to what I should do about his new rebound relationship. I see him and his new partner almost everyday, and I am unsure whether I should be friendly and greet them or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really do want to get back together with him because I know that he did love me, and I loved him too. If it helps, we did breakup for only a few short days a few months ago. However, he ended up coming back to me because he hooked up with someone the next day after our breakup and he told me that he realized that I was the one he wanted.

If you need any clarification, let me know. I appreciate any help.
    Last edited by drgrey; 08-10-11 at 10:45 PM.