+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How can I be close to him even when he's far away?

How can I be close to him even when he's far away?

Hey there : ) I hope you can give me some ideas.

I've been dating my best friend for three months and a half, we've known each other for three years. We care for each other a LOT and have a very deep "mind" connection, as well as great chemistry. We live in the same town for most of the year, but during the holidays we move back to the towns our respective families live (we are both 22).

Here's the thing: he might have contracted mononucleosis (which btw means I could have it too), so last friday he went back to his family to visit a doctor and take some tests. The results are due tomorrow afternoon, and if they are positive he probably won't be able to be back in town for at least a month.

I am pretty much new to the whole long distance relationship thing - the longest I've had to "wait" was this summer, when he was at his family's for the holidays and we didn't see each other for about a month (though we did meet halfway through). Besides, the fact that he's ill makes me want to be close to him even more : (.

Hopefully the results will be negative and he'll be back tomorrow night (he's flying in, it's not a short distance in which I can go visit him anytime), but if they are positive and he is stuck there for at least a month... how can I still be close to him?

This summer we texted a lot and occasionally talked on skype (we also watched movies "together"), and it worked just fine since we know each other so well. But now the situation is different - he isn't home because of holidays, he is because he's sick. He needs support and love, I want to be there for him. He also can't spend lots of time on his cell phone or his computer because his eyes hurt after a while because of the illness. He doesn't want to be there, he's really sad (also because of other issues, regarding our relationship). I really wish I could do something for him, but I don't know how...

So... any ideas?? Thank you! : )
    Last edited by searock; 12-10-11 at 02:53 AM.

Be patient and talk when you can. It's only a month.

If he weren't sick it would be ok, I mean we've done it before after all, as you say it's only a month, no big deal. But he is sick and I wish I could do something more (other than texting and occasionally talking) to make him feel better, even if only psychologically..! Maybe I could send him a package with some nice/fun stuff he likes?
    Last edited by searock; 12-10-11 at 02:58 AM.

There ya go, that's a great idea. I'd also suggest not calling and text too much. Maybe once or twice a day, unless he's keeping it going. Let the guy rest. It will add stress if he feels like he has to keep constant communication with you. He's already going to be really tired and drained as it is.

I'm already making sure I don't overwhelm him with messages and stuff. He does the same - we know each other so well that we both know when it's too little or too much, and we have no problem to inform the other person if we're not happy with the amount of daily communication we share.
    I'm glad you think the package thing is a good idea : ).

Any other idea?
    Last edited by searock; 12-10-11 at 03:44 AM.

Turns out he has both mononucleosis and hepathitis the hospital told him he should be hospitalized asap but his doctor told him it's better he stays at home for a week and then takes the tests again because his immune system is so low right now. I myself am going to the doctor this afternoon and I'm probably going to take the tests tomorrow morning. Ugh hepathitis . I so hope he gets better soon I am so worried for him!!