+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Question about long-distance relationships

Question about long-distance relationships

Can they really last?

I don't know much about relationships (and I have no first-hand experience). I think a 'normal' relationship is pretty difficult to maintain. It would seem that you'd need to invest quite some time to make something of it.

So can a long-distance relationship really be something? Can it last?

And no..I'm not the one in it...nor do I want to be
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

I think a 'normal' relationship is pretty difficult to maintain. It would seem that you'd need to invest quite some time to make something of it.
    That is an almost incomprehensibly silly statement; like complaining that a car is more expensive than a bike and yet both get you from point A to point B.

So can a long-distance relationship really be something? Can it last?
    If by long distance you really mean an internet relationship, then it is not a real relationship and so there is nothing to "last". If you mean that two people live at a distance that might allow them to see each other a few times a month while one or other finishes studying or a particular placement by their employer that is really mandatory for career reasons, then sure. If putting up with it is a means to an end, and the long-distance part has a defined duration and a very clear end date, and a clear reason why the couple are not together, then I cannot see a problem and that people will make the sacrifice so that they or their partners study or career can progress.

And no..I'm not the one in it...nor do I want to be
    Then why are you asking?

wlboy

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlustboy View Post
    That is an almost incomprehensibly silly statement; like complaining that a car is more expensive than a bike and yet both get you from point A to point B.
    this I don't understand.
    I think that it's difficult to maintain a relationship. I'm not saying that "difficult" is a bad thing.
    I don't understand your analogy :?

If by long distance you really mean an internet relationship, then it is not a real relationship and so there is nothing to "last". If you mean that two people live at a distance that might allow them to see each other a few times a month while one or other finishes studying or a particular placement by their employer that is really mandatory for career reasons, then sure. If putting up with it is a means to an end, and the long-distance part has a defined duration and a very clear end date, and a clear reason why the couple are not together, then I cannot see a problem and that people will make the sacrifice so that they or their partners study or career can progress.
    2 hour flight. Totally different countries. And the way things are this situation will not change for the coming 4 - 5 years
    So there is a possibility of seeing each-other. Allthough it isn't that often

Then why are you asking?

wlboy
    Because I like the girl who is in one, right now...And I wonder if there could be any hope of this just being very brief

Slim chance, I know. But I'm curious nonetheless.
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?