+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Making the next step, taking it slow

Making the next step, taking it slow

Hey,

I've been dating this girl for about 5 weeks now, and it's going pretty well. I really like her! She's really cool, unique, funny, pretty and fun to be around. I've been putting a lot of effort into the start of this relationship as I really want it to work and because this feels like a super rare opportunity, in that I've never met a girl like this one, and maybe I never will again.

So I'm looking for an outside perspective on how I'm doing. It's hard to assess your own situation, especially in my case, where I have a tendency to over analyze every move I make within the relationship. So allow me to briefly summarize

Our first date we went out to see a movie. After the movie, we walked around downtown for an hour or two, then went for some drinks. I offered to give her a ride home, so we took the bus to my place, where my car was and I drove her home. The date was about 6-7 hours long. She hugged me when I dropped her off.

Second date. I had her over to watch some movies we had talked about on the first date. I put my arm around her and we cuddled for a while. I drove her home, she kissed me on the cheek. (I wanted to kiss her, but she moved very quickly in for the cheek and then went inside)

Third date. Wasn't really a date. I was going to take her out for brunch and we were going to hang out, but she ended up getting tied up the night before and was super tired, and on top of that, she had been called into work later. We hung out at her place for a few hours and I drove her to work. No kiss or anything.

Fourth date. We went out to see a movie again. After the movie we went for Chinese and drove around. Went back to my place to watch another movie. Then I drove her home. Nothing this time. No hugs or anything...

So those are the dates we've been on. Nothing substantial. We've spent a lot of time together and we've cuddled quite a bit too, but we haven't kissed yet. I haven't felt like I've gotten the signals yet, and the time hasn't felt right. I hate myself for having gone on so many dates with her and not kissed her yet...

After each date, she texts me thanking me for the date which is usually followed by a short conversation. Then I try to wait 3 days to text her again to ask her out, to not come off desperate or whatever. Sometimes she'll text me sooner, just asking what's up. Sometimes on Friday or Saturday nights I get what I'm pretty sure are drunk texts at obscure hours of the morning, asking how I'm doing. So I'm pretty sure she's interested in me.

So my question is, based on the pace of the described relationship, what should my next move be? Should I be letting her make the next move? She claims to not be shy, and to be honest I believe her but still when I look into her eyes, she usually looks away pretty quickly, and when I put my arm around her, she doesn't seem completely relaxed, but instead kind of tense. I want her to be able to relax and be comfortable. But because she seems kind of tense, I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable by trying to kiss her... I don't know. She's totally unique in the way she carries herself, so it's super hard to get any reads on her.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. What can I do to alleviate some tension? Should I go for the kiss regardless on the next date, or maybe let her go for it when she's ready?

Thanks

Many girls want the man to make the move for a hug or kiss. Why didn't you do that? Just because she is not shy, doesn't mean she will always make the first move to kiss.

I say, on the next date, kiss her on the lips. She needs a signal to show you are interested in being more than a friend.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)