+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I wasting my time?

Am I wasting my time?

I was seeing someone for a couple of months until he moved back home for good making it long distance (6 hour drive away). He's been gone for 5 weeks now. At first he would phone me every day and we would talk for an hour or so sometimes more. He would text me too. One thing I did notice though is that he would rarely reply to my texts or answer his phone if I contacted him, so basically unless he initiated the contact he rarely bothered to reply to me.

A couple of weeks ago the contact started getting less. I last heard from him on wednesday and I told him I hated it when I text him or phoned and wouldn't hear back from him and that if he didn't want to carry on contacting me then I would rather he just said. He told me he does want to keep contacting me and assured me I would hear from him again. I've heard nothing since but I haven't contacted him either. I don't expect him to text or phone me straight back, I appreciate he's busy, but after several hours and sometimes days I think it's abit rude/selfish right?

He is in no hurry to meet up with me. We've talked about meeting up and he said he needs to settle into his job and get into his shift patterns first. That's fine, I accept that,and he does tell me he misses me and can't wait to see me again. But he also keeps saying to me act like he's on deployment (he use to be in the Navy). Am I right to feel like this isn't going to work or is it just that he is use to being away from people as he was in the Navy so it's not so hard for him. And it would annoy me if he was clingy/needy so maybe it's good that he's not always on the end of the phone because it shows he can trust me and he has a life of his own?

First, if you said clearly to him that you want him to talk to you more, and he doesn't do that, it's rude for him to ignore your needs. It sounds to me like you two have 2 incompatible communication styles. He is used to being out of contact for a while, you are not. You want more contact. That's a red flag for me.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)